Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garages that are too small???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodookustoms, Nov 10, 2015.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

They are always too small. When I moved into my house all I could think of was, "look at all this space! So much room to work!"

[​IMG]

Then, somehow, all that extra space disappeared, and now I have 3.5 cars crammed into a "two car" garage...

[​IMG]

2. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I just put a deposit on a pole barn from Pioneer Pole barns in Pennsy.Gonna be 24X32.Now ill be able to finish my 56 Vicky and repaint my 62 galaxie.

3. I did that, got a 10' x 14' shed at Lowes. Fit a lot of lawn and garden stuff into it. This is what I'm left with.
    DSCN0021.JPG DSCN0022.JPG

4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

5. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Yup, space is an issue
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451958012.110938.jpg

Raiman1959 and 509garyd like this.
  6. Fedman

Fedman

A beautiful work space is what I see, the only problem is that you put the Steering Wheels all on the wrong side.......... :)
    Nice looking collection of Cars Too!

thommoina33 likes this.
  7. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

All garages are too small, just some don't have enough junk in them yet...

cretin and Fedman like this.
  8. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

upload_2016-1-4_22-4-23.png
    I've got plenty of room, HAH. The pole is a pain in the neck. Before the truck I was able to do all the work necessary on the car. To work on the truck, I have to push the car out. At the end of the day I have to stack everything then bring the car back in. If it is raining, I can't/don't push the car out. Those are the days where I can't weld, grind, remove paint or do anything else that is dusty. The den is right next door, I hear plenty about the banging (planishing work). I used to have a 2,000 sf drive under garage before getting married. Now I have this and a wife and consider myself lucky. Looking at a third car though, what to do, what to do...

9. cretin

cretin

Not only is my garage at home too small, I go to work in a shop that is too small too. It never stops!
    But the space always fills up, who knows what would be "big enough"

10. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Yes my garage are small :D
    [​IMG]

voodookustoms and Raiman1959 like this.
  11. LAROKE

LAROKE

As several have stated, they are never big enough. When I moved into my current digs, I thought I was set for life. Now I'm feeling cramped but this thread has taught me to quit cryin' about it and get back to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. After a few years, all garages become too small. Then you just live with it. My space is 2,300 SF, and I keep looking for additional space to put stuff I am not currently working on.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I started building my 56 Chevrolet Bracket Car in 1/2 of a 2 car garage I rented from a nurse I used to work with (She had been a nun, her husband a priest!). I finished building it in a single car sized "garage" in a self service storage complex. Car just fit inside with enough room to walk around; I built a large wooden shelf above the front of the car and almost to the windshield where I stored a lot of stuff. It's the same "garage" I built my FED in. Everything had it's place, and was in it's place. Now, I have a 22 X 24 foot 2 car garage, and I don't have enough room with everything I have going on. I wanted to add on to it and double the size, but the city said NO. So, I tried to just add a carport to the front of the garage, and they shot that down too. Nobody can see into my back yard, except the pilots of the small planes we're in the flight paths of. I've been thinning the herd, and liquidating things I don't really need. Should be a lot of stuff going on the classifieds here fairly soon. The attached garage of the house is my wife's storage space, and i keep saying I'm going to clean it out and claim it. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I had a new 24 x 40 in 2010, the flood took care of that and the house.I went three years living in a fifth wheel trailer. Now share a 24x24 garage with my wife. I am so happy to have half of that you wouldn't believe. Three years without even a tool box or floor jack makes you appreciate things a lot.
    My secret now is no collections of steering wheels or boxes of stuff I may need someday. I buy only the quantity I need and when I need it . No buckets of fittings or nuts and bolts.My 57 takes up a lot of floor space ,when I remove things from it I slide them under the car ,or set them on top.
    Livin the dream.

cptn60 and cfmvw like this.
  15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yep... Too small here too. But tearing out the flat ceiling and adding a lift helped a bunch! Adding cheap homemade plywood cabinets around three sides helps hide all the ugly stuff. And I still have to do some things in the drive!!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452037532.390087.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452037575.789543.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452037654.037913.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452037784.509821.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Our house came with a standard size 3 car garage. If my wife wants to park her Honda Insight in it she has to get in and out of it from the passenger's side....

1 garage.jpg

17. have same garage my wife has to park in drive so my job to make sure her car is started and ready to go when she needs it lol

18. Park the honda at the neighbors house problem solved.:D:eek::D

19. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Mine is pretty roomy compared to some I've had in the past.[​IMG] 100_3854.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  20. clem

clem

Garage ? Mine is full of old cars, so this is where most of my work is done.......the drive way image.jpeg

21. blackout78666

blackout78666

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452079657.561162.jpg
    Just shoehorned this guy into a corner. I remember moving into our barn and thinking there was no way we could ever fill it up. Have 2 more being built under the shade outside. Tarp em up. Un tarp em. Tarp em up. Un tarp em.......

Finn Jensen likes this.
  22. c91x

c91x

My house is for sale and I'm moving back to Arizona. Going to be hard to leave this shop but I'll build another when I get settled

[​IMG] [​IMG]

voodookustoms and Icufltrn like this.
  23. racer_dave

racer_dave

When I first started racing on my own, I lived in an apartment. My landlord let me 'have' the lean too attached to the side of his electrical contracting business to keep my street stock. It was about 2' wider than the car and we used some old vinyl flexible sign faces for the walls. Had to roll it out into the gravel parking lot to work on it. But it was something. I remember that the jacks wouldn't work on the coarse gravel. I'd have to pull the saginaw 3sp, by hand with no jack to replace the clutch. yeah, tat was fun... Now I have a 30x45, 12' ceilings. Big item for the spring is to fully insulate and heat it so I can work during the winter.

24. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

I agree with everyone else. The garages are always too small. I went to a 2 car from a small single car. I thought I was going to have space to spare. I promptly filled it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452095553.357298.jpg
    This is when I was working on the jeep. I had to put my wife's car outside which is always risky.

25. Bader2

Bader2

Should have done this ten years ago! 16x40,but it's warm and dry! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452101441.469085.jpg

509garyd likes this.
  26. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Here's my hovel. I'm squeezed between shelves and a 283 with my butt on the bench for this shot. Luckily, I've got a storage garage nearby with 1 1/2 or 2 more cars in it, depending on how you count. My wife is trying to kick car stuff out of the basement these days.

[​IMG]

AHotRod and voodookustoms like this.
  27. its like a closet 058.JPG 057.JPG 059.JPG

28. Now, that shop wouldn't even hold your Olds motor collection, let alone a car ;)

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ne t self: Take a couple of days off when the weather clears and empty out the little 1930 something garage and organize.
    One car garage that was most likely built in 1936 when my grandparents bought a new 1936 Chevrolet sedan. It's got a 4 ft bump out in the back where my work bench sits that happened after they bought a 1970 Chev long bed pickup. No room for a car in it now though.
    [​IMG]
    My big problem is that in the past few years I have accumulated a lot of the needed pieces of equipment that I always wanted including mig welder, horizontal band saw, drill press and several other pieces that would eat up space in a 30x40 shop. Now I need to build a shop to put them in so I can work on something.

30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Heres a pic from a couple years ago. I have a about six more pieces of equipment including a lathe now.This is my son working on my utility trailer made from a 60 Gator boat trailer. It was big enough to get 27 students and Gene Winfield in it last Sept for a seminar. I have a 25 ft construction trailer filled to the max ,a 20x12 storage garage,house garage too.All filled up.I guarantee the more room you create the more stuff you will pack in it.
    I only have the equipment and things like nuts and bolts etc in the shop.Anything else is in the other spots

Attached Files: