Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage to small to work in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivinford, Sep 7, 2012.

1. No reason to get depressed I will be the cartaker of some of your stuff for ya. ;)

2. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Gotta 2 car garage but always find myself working in the dirt....

3. 20' x 30'?!!

Only time I have that amount of space to work in there's nothing but sky above me.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which reminds me, I need to repair and finish the roof on one of the sheds so that I can get "stuff" that doesn't belong in the garage out so I can have room to move around in there. I'll probably never be able to get a whole car in it but I'd like to be able to get the Model A chassis in there and work on it out of the weather this winter.
    Hopefully by this time next year there will be a two car "shop" behind it that I can work in year round instead of having to work outside all the time. And I need to pull weeds in my work area around the frame for he 48 when I get home today.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

House was built in 51, car in 53. Either the Buick fits or I do.
    I can't get both of us in there at once.

Posted from Jalopyjournal.com App for Android

6. If you need to pull weeds around your 48 frame then you work on it less that I work on my stuff. :D

7. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I have a 26x30 here and am thinking about adding a room across the back for tools and parts storage.

I've got one of those 50's style tiny garages attached to the house. Makes a great laundry room but that's about it.

8. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

I was soooo damn happy just to have concrete when we put in 60+yards of it a few years back. Now my engine hoist will roll without moving 2 peaces of plywood over and over. I now don't have to lay in dirt and battle ants to work on stuff. My sled wont fit in my barn and lives under a carport I built, I worked on it last night in the rain with a flashlight and a wet ass. You will be alright. Get anything that is not a tool, car fluid, or car part out of there (put that crap in the attic!) and you will be surprised how big it is.

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Bigger garage means higher taxes.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

i have a 48 x 60 shop concrete floors, 3 roll up doors and no room .oh and i have a 24 x 60 shop we use for build bikes.well it was suppose to be for the bikes. ended up being a garage for projects that cant sit outside.but it still has a few bike in there and by hydralic bike table.in the hotrod shop (the big one) i built a paint booth 32 x 18 in the corner.used to be able to get 6 cars in there with room to spare. i now have 2 cars in there and a floor full of engines.and almost everything we need to work. i know im a very blessed man or just lucky.but now ive decided to build one more building to put shit in so i can have room to put more cars in.there seems to be a pattern here.the more room we have the less we have.im very grateful for what i have, took a long time to get here.now that im here im not really able to do the work i wanted these damn shoops for in the first place...lol

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's my problem...

[​IMG]

It's hard to get to when the weather turns bad...

R-

12. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

This is my shop here in S.D.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      228.3 KB
      Views:
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I don't need a bigger shop, I just need to get rid of a couple projects and a bunch of "stuff".

14. Hahahahahahaha. Sounds about right. You crawled under. I crawled over. Like walking a tight rope.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a wood stove that would fit right in one corner of that shop and keep it toasty as all get out. I've had to shovel out all 400 ft of my driveway to get out or in before so a 50 ft path to the shop would be a piece of cake.

16. I had a 15,000 s.f. shop that I had room for 52 cars. I kept dragging in projects. had 27 at once. but all my work was done in a 12X22 stall. I had so many irons in the fire nothing got done. My current shop is 1500 SF and I can say that one zero can really screw you up. I have 4 bays 15X26 and only have room for 2 projects and still don't get anything done.

It not the space you have to work, it's the space between your ears that get things done.
    "where there"s a will there"s a way"
    50 years ago (when I was 20) I would swap engines in the dirt with a chain fall (most of you probably don't know what that is) hooked to a branch of a tree in the back yard. rain or shine and never knew there was another way. got er done!!!
    I was 23 with the 46 sedan delivery if it broke I fixed it or I was walking. drove it to work one day in reverse. I still have that tool box. going to restore it some day!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I just bought a car from a friend, his garage is huge -120' X 80' (with skylights) and his driveway is almost two blocks long...he told me he poured 350 yards of concrete for that driveway...

If you're shoveling that much, oh my aching back, sell one of your cars and go buy yourself a riding plow...

Oh, BTW, the natural gas furnace in my garage keeps me working in t-shirt weather all winter...and in the summers the A/C works just fine...

R-

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

HAHAHA Chainfall on a tree limb or a comealong over a ceiling joist through a hole you punched in the ceiling! That's the old way to pull and change an engine.

19. squirrel

squirrel

pictures....my first engine swap. We pushed the truck over to the neighbors where there was something to hang a come-along to, not many big trees in the Tucson desert

[​IMG]

20. wallyringo

wallyringo

my little one car apartment garage keeps getting more kids bikes, big wheels, fans, etc. you name it my wife put it next to my car. got to pull out all that stuff just to open the doors or open the hood. but im gratefull

21. I still have the chain fall too! did swap out engines between two 1951 Oldsmobiles using a kids swing set (not made in china) in the street. what I'm trying to say is there is always a way if you really want it.

I have room to let projects sit and thats exactly what happens. If I was working in the street still. I would keep at it till it was done.
    need proof check my thread "6 years into a 6 month project" I am ashamed to be proud of something I'm not driving YET!!!

22. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Yup! Before I had an Engine hoist I had to go to my buddie Rich's grandpas house on the river, he had a piece of RR track chained lashed to two trees stretched between the two with a come a long that hooked to it. Worked like a charm! :D

23. Irishman

Irishman

LOL I have a standard 2 car garage and since my 47 arrived there's been nothing but friction between "her indoors" and I. But you know what? I paid good money for the 47, I didn't pay anything for her.

Simple economics to me.

24. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I've got a small two car garage and four project vehicles. I have a really nice oversize lot in town surrounded by a six foot privacy fence with a very large RV concrete pad. I had one vehicle and my Harley and tools in the garage that's pretty cramped to actually work in and then the other three parked on the concrete pad behind the fence. Nothing is visible from the street, but, my a**hole neighbor complained to the city about my backyard vehicles so I bought an old 24 foot enclosed race car trailer to store one car and clean clutter from the garage, I rent a 10 by 20 storage building for one project plus it's parts and put a cover on my O/T Camaro still sitting on the pad. Hopefully this will satisfy the city. This neighbor every six months to a year comes up with some bogus complaint against me or someone else close by. Oh, and by the way I filed a complaint against that neighbor for his pickup and boat that he has parked in his backyard on grass. Waiting to see how he likes the city harrasement.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

In about 1969, when my then wife and I were first married, we rented our first home, a duplex. The deal was, if I mowed both lawns I got free use of the garage which was a rickety old wooden shack, but I started to build my first 32 in there. It had a wooden floor which made building a straight frame a little bit of a challenge, but I was happy to have a roof over my head and a garage door I could pull shut.

A few years later we bought our first house and it didn't have a garage at all. I remember (only too well) laying out in the back yard either working on my daily driver or building some project, with snow melting and running down the back of my neck. Or losing tools and bolts in the grass and dirt.:(

Don

26. Get a lot of snow in Florida, do ya? :D

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, that was Pennsylvania and is the reason I am now in Florida. Never want to see that white stuff again. :D:D

Don

28. dad-bud

dad-bud

I have a 40 x 20 4 car garage at home, plus I've bought a 2000+ sqft factory unit nearby, They are both full of crap and I can't get anything done - I figured a long time ago that I must be 'Doin' it wrong'.
    Too many cars, too much other stuff goin' on in life, basically too many excuses.
    Oh well, at least I have some cars to drive anyway.
    Lucky? Not really, but happy as I'm going to be.
    Good luck.
    Oh BTW, we don't get snow in Perth, so another possible excuse gone.
    Ho hum.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Well, here's a question for you all. My garage was built in the early forties. It's in great shape but its interior dimensions are 20x20, which is too small for my tools and projects and work space, so I am going to put a 1 bay addition onto it. Code allows me to go about 16' wider. The interior dimensions of that would be about 15x20.

Could you find yourself having enough room for a project (A or T) with that size, if all the storage was in the 20x20?

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Probably not. Even building a car in a two car garage is a challenge because the parts spread out so much. You end up with parts in one side and the project in the other. I've done it and it sure is better than nothing though.

Maybe put all your stuff in the new section and use the 20 x 20 for the build.

Don