Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage Security...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, May 17, 2009.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

120LB Bulldog, 12 GA, 200lb wife that scares me and the dog:eek:

Attached Files:

2. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

holy shit man, that was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I have a great system, but I'm sure as hell not gonna tell the whole world what it is.......

4. Remember the shotgun trap is not legal. You could get a fireman coming to help you.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Costco carries the "noise" alarms in 12 packs.....sorta' like this:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

But, they were 12 packs and I put two of them on access points in different spots and the are REAL loud when they go off..........Radio Shack carries them also.

And pretty much what the others said about the open garage door and letting "strangers" into your garage.

I would not really brag about the "guns" to strangers like some of the other guys mentioned, because the "tweaker's/hood-rats" will break into your place when you are gone (casing your house) and steal your guns......that happened to a hunter neighbor a couple of years back who had a TON of guns, and the local cops said that the thief's probably sold them on the street.

Chris

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

2 dogs out back and one i will come out with and a ............:)

Attached Files:

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

All you guys thinking you're your own security system are delusional. None of you were teenagers out doing crazy shit in the middle of the night and getting away with it? You gotta make a LOT of noise to wake somebody up, and your dogs sleep just as sound as you do.

Bottom line, if you're a light enough sleeper to be a functional security system, you need to see a doctor about your sleep disorder.

Oh yeah, get those gun signs out of sight. They're MAGNETS for burglars.

8. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

I have 3 ways...

1. 6' steel gate.
    2. Security cameras that record to a hard drive hidden away and locked up.
    3. Angry pitbull guard dog!

Attached Files:

9. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

if your garage door has an motorized opened on it, then you adjust it so that the rod that goes from the door to the motor track is as vertical as possible when the door is closed. That makes the door alot harder to pry open.

And as has been mentioned, Security lights are your friend.

10. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

We were broken into in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. I don't work with the garage door open anymore. It gets hot, but you can't see what's inside either. I've also heard that planting some really sharp thorny plants under your windows helps.

11. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I've never lost anything. If I'm in the garage, he's usually either laying in the front yard or at the enterance to my garage, if he wants some shade. Nobody has ever came up to the garage, and I never get door to door solicitors either.

Attached Files:

12. Just a tip; pass doors that are installed to swing out are very difficult to kick in, and you will notice that exterior pre-hung doors have hinges with tabs that keep the door in place even with the pins removed.

13. I just keep mine a total mess so you couldn't find anything if ya wanted!!

14. vertible59

vertible59

Dogs...Take in strays, especially the big ones. Strays seem to be even more protective than ones raised from a pup...they EARN their keep, and it is nothing but good karma to save, care for, and about a stray dog.

15. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

An alarm system, motion sensors ,lots of locks, and a huge mean slobbering dog!!!

16. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

The main thing that kept out the clown trying to break into my shop was the padlocks in the door roller guide rails.

Opposite side from the padlocked latch and handle.

They beat the latch and handle all to hell, tried to pry the door up and everything else, just did not figure out where the door roller was being stopped.

I understand that now the robber bastards are just easing a pickup tailgate into the door to collapse it and then loading up the pickup truck!!

K

17. Wicked50

Wicked50

that's why I have 2 VERY large pitbulls and trust no one

There's a race shop down the street from my house with a sign in the window that reads "This shop is guarded with a shotgun 3 nights a week you pick which 3"

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  18. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Security camera, sign that says you're on camera.

Lots of guns, sign on door that says I have lots of guns.

[​IMG]

19. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

The cheapest security is a couple of motion lights(one on each side of the big door and one at the pedestrian door for sure) and turn off your electric garage door at night. With no power its harder to open. Not to say if they really wanted something they'll get it but its a little more protection then nothing.

20. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

fuck i got lots of dogs, hah, ant kidden..

21. PoPo

PoPo

I park my truck against my "man" door and in front of my overhead door. Other than that well I have two glocks, you can choose which one takes your life, and your damn sure I'm going to announce myself as a Police Officer, its your choice if you continue or stop. And I always have lights on around my garage, no windows and I don't leave the door open if I'm not in it. And if I am and someone walks by, I make sure I let them know I see them.

Oh and the squad car parked out side the house when I'm on lunch helps too!! wish I could keep it all the time at my house but we share cars with all the other shifts.

My best bet for everyone is to reinforce your doors, windows, I like the bottle idea on the inside sill. Make it hard for them to get inside. Put the plants outside the window, the noise makers sound like a good idea also. and always use more than one in case batteries die, oh and don't put all the batteries in on the same day, could die on the same day.

I have "Beware of Dog" signs at my house, Yup I dont even have a dog. haha

Good luck and if they want in bad enough, they will get in.

WRITE DOWN ALL YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS, SCRIBE YOUR TOOLS WITH YOUR INITALS OR A CERTAIN NUMBER, TAKE PICTURES, LEAVE A DISCERNING MARK ON STUFF YOU HAVE SO YOU CAN IDENTIFY IT LATER IF IT IS TAKEN, OTHERWISE COPS CANT PROVE ITS YOURS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY IT BACK FROM THE PAWN SHOP INSTEAD OF GETTING IT BACK FREE.

do that for the stuff INSIDE your house as well as your garage. Oh and don't leave your garage door opener in your vehicle as handy as that is unless you park in the garage. EASY ACCESS

22. *nick*

*nick*

here in Australia i leave the house to go to the shops without locking up. I've left the garage door open countless times all night with my motorbike and bicycles (not cheap ones) in clear view of the street, my old man leaves his truck on the street every day with the keys in the ignition, once he busted a deadbeat in the cab taking his wallet, this deadbeat got quite the suprise when he saw my dad standing in the open doorway with a big shovel.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

23. Chris C.

Chris C.
    from Indy

Vise grips on your garage rails just above the wheels. I used to install doors and while removing doors some are close 1000lbs a pair of vice grips on each side would hold it in place. So I figure it should work keeping the door down.

If you have a electric door opener and one of those locks that are in the center to allow you to unlock and pull the manual release get rid of it.

--
    If your worried about the back the truck into the door and run method. Drill concrete and install 3" I.D. tube 12" down. Above door install Steel C channel with 6" lag bolts thru garage header. Slide 10' long 3" O.D. tube into C channel of garage door and slide down into pipe in garage floor. Do one every 3-4 feet across door. It will not allow the door to lift and it will have to take quite a hit to knock down.

Another use of steel bar is running one across on each door panel, this slows down anyone use a chain saw or sawzall cutting a hole in the door.

--
    Now I like my cars and all, but in some garages the garage is the easist to break into. If your garage is attach to your home and most of the time the door from the house to the garage is junk. So install and exterior door that opens into the garage. We installed a sliding door and its the same place the dog beds are. Heck I can't even get the mailman or fedex to leave packages at the front door anymore. When the two dogs hit the door the whole door starts to flex.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  24. A buddy keeps his cruiser at home and one night someone slashed the tires, another time they egged it, i feel sorry if he catches them.

25. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Back in highschool we had a town cop have his wheel covers stolen off the copcar. Needless to say he was fucking pissed! he came in to the local hangout and made sure to tell all of us he was going to fuck us anyway he could until he got them back....turns out his fellow cop buddy took em. We thought it was the greatest thing ever. Back to topic though...looks like a savage dog is guna take the cake.

26. krooser

krooser

I've probably locked my shop six times in the last 14 years... looks like those days may be over.

I took a three hour ride to my engine builder this afternoon... never locked the house or shop... I guess old habits die hard!

27. alykat

alykat

I have two Anatollean Sheperds (140 plus pounds each) and a sign at the beginning of my drive that says " Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be shot again."

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

AAhuh..right there with ya on that one..;)

the eliment of surprize is a great leg up..especially when it comes to security.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  29. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I know i've said the "Shoot first, ask questions later" thing to several people jokingly... but a few years back there was a father that shot his son in the head... I guess he didn't say that old saying jokingly.

His son came home from Iraq without telling his family and wanted to surprise them.

"Surprise".

I'm all for pullin' that trigger, but i'm going to make damn sure who it is (or isn't) before I let loose! lol...

Happy hunting.

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

Oh my gawd! That is a terrible story! Hopefully it will slow someone down for an instant...