Register now to get rid of these ads!

garage floor finishs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whitey3518, Sep 21, 2010.

1. whitey3518

whitey3518

what does everyone have I recently did the epoxy paint on the floor but it comes up whenever I pull the car in and out it doesnt come up where the chopper is so now I was thinking about doing the race deck or something like that

any suggestions and pics would be appericated

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

last 2 times I did an engine swap I coated my floor with tranny fluid and oil. over by the fridge there is a nice coating of whiskey and beer.

4. RatRoy

RatRoy

I bought my floor tiles from Sears, they are inter-locking plastic tiles. The only problem is it is more difficult to use floor jacks and jack stands due to the pattern on the tiles. :)

Attached Files:

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oil, trans fluid, paint overspray and spills, epoxy resin, polyester resin, bondo, with an occasional laquer thinner spill to level it all out.

7. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Damn sounds like my garage....

8. I'd love to paint my floors but I live off a gravel road....the tires would scratch it with every stuck pebble in the tread!

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

When I built my addition I was going to paint the floor..I would have balked at the cost of the Floor Guard but it sure still looks good..I checked some of the coatings and decided that rather than risk it coming off I did it the natural way as in post #6, interesting patina..

10. big creep

big creep

yea mine has an old school finish, cement!

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

Did my second garage again with U-coat ! Had it in my first place and worked great,a little pricey but good !

Attached Files:

12. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

My garage floor is a work of art. I fixed the cracks with bondo so the jack wheels role easy,I lay parts on the floor and trace around them to copy other side to fabricate part,I paint parts on the floor(makes nice rainbow colors),I hammer out metal,grind and weld on that floor.Like I said it is my work in progress art,LOL.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Painting garage floors is not proper .Unless you paint them with sweat and grease .Id tile where the cars are parked .

14. hueyguns

hueyguns
    from pa

I run it like it is, plain ole concrete. I've studied every study. If you "work" in your garage it will peel, flake, scuff, scratch, etc. That is why you will find no car dealership garage floor covered in the garbage you see advertised here or that that is resurfaced 4 times a year. Spend your money elsewhere. If you look at the pics posters provide, you only see polished transmissions, fresh big blocks, fancy chassis', goofy brightwork. Not a welder or empty beer can in sight. These guys do not do this work. It is done for them at the stroke of a check. They only know how to post pics. Not tourque a bolt, slap some assembly lube, get a hot spark down thier shirt. They know nothing and are posers, no more. Run the concrete and your sweat equity and call it good.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Painted garage floors are find if all you do is park on them........

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I work in my garage pretty often and haven't seen any peeling and such even with the amount of shit being dragged and dropped on it. Couple that with all the welding and I think it's holding up pretty good. It is however filthy and now has paint stains everywhere so it hardly looks nice.

This next spring I plan on painting it again after I give the garage a little makeover and organization. I'll post some pics when I get there.

17. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

paint a garage floor what!!!......................that trad. I have a hard time sweeping it

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i work in my shop , why would i want to waste beer money on painting the floor . And i change my own oil too.

19. 61TBird

61TBird

And your address is??? :D

20. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Cigar ashes, spilled Scotch,and lacquer over spray (it doesn't stick).

21. Jen......

Jen......

dirt floor about 24 ft x 75 ft full of dust everywhere. if i had money it be very nice but being so very poor its at least a roof full of promises and projects time lost track of

Jen

22. dawg

dawg

time has not lost track, if you spend your thoughts and energy on those projects...

and a promise is a promise, if you can't ( or don't have time) to do it, don't say it...

we are born from the dust, and in dust we shall return, rock on...

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow... and I thought I was an opinionated dickhead. :cool:

24. storm king

storm king

Well, you may be, but perhaps he is just more of one! :)
    Roll on Rock is an interesting floor coating. I just did my 5,000 s/f clean room for doing aerospace composites. It cost me $13,000.00. Figure $2.50/$3.00 s/f for having it done. As with any paint, prep is the key, not so much who's paint you decide to use. I like high gloss for light propigation, not concerned with slipping, I know how to walk. Another option is just using the colored stains, which can look very nice, and since they actually soak into the concrete they are somewhst more durable.
    I don't care what type of work I'm doing, I like a clean shop. I take care when welding or even heavy grinding, and it stays looking nice...

25. river1

river1

i used the paint from groits garage 16 years ago and it still looks good when it's mopped.

from a few years ago but it still looks like this
    [​IMG]

close up
    [​IMG]

it helps keep the dust down and the light color helps when you're under the car. i have spilled brake fluid on it and it wipes right up. it has held up to everything that i can throw at it except when i did something that caused the concrete to BREAK but nothing would help that.

later jim

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

You sure your names not Richard Cranium?

There nothing wrong with having a nice clean and well maintained shop, I cant seem to pull it off but kudos to those that can.

My shop was the local radiator shop for years and the floor is infused with antifreeze, it will come clean for about an hour and then the stains come back. I just live with it.

27. nummie

nummie

My new "shop floor" is gravel and fire ants. Luckily the repeated application of oil, gear lube, atf, brake fluid and the like have mostly killed the fire ants, or at least stunned them enough to keep them in the ground! and Im damn proud of it!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can only see about a 4x4 foot section of my floor in a 24x24 foot garage. When we poured the floor years ago I coated it with Thompsons Water Seal, it really worked well. Maybe this Winter I'll go through and cleanout the junk.

29. Diavolo

Diavolo

Definitely do NOT use floor paint. That crap is still flaking off. Biggest waste of money. I've heard nothing but good words about properly used 2 part epoxy coatings.

30. storm king

storm king

Epoxy or urethane works well, again, it's all in the prep, and was your floor properly sealed before the concrete was poured. If it wasn't moisture will come through it and lift any finish you put on it, except the concrete stains.