Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage Creeper Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUSQ, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SUSQ

SUSQ

My car guy son will be turning 16 next month and has asked for a garage creeper for his birthday. I'd like to get him a good quality creeper with an adjustable headrest if possible. Any suggestions regarding your experience with models or features? Thanks!

2. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

I have a Jeepers that I like, its comfortable, and rolls nice, But its about 20 years old, and I don't even know if they make them anymore.

3. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Yes jeepers is great, still in production

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. redzula

redzula

I've always liked the dog one ones because the bigger wheels roll over anything. But that also means they tend to roll around when you want it to stay put. I've also used the jeepers ones and like them too.

5. cryobug

cryobug

Buy him the Bone. It wont wear out, rot or weaken like wooden ones. I had a SnapOn creeper and I got rid of it right after it bruised the tar out of my elbow when it got wedged between the creeper and a wheel.

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

7. I'm a cheap somanabich, so most often I throw down a sheet of 3/4"blue or pink styrofoam. I'm old so it is nice to have the warmth of reflected body heat, and it gives just enough so elbows and shoulder blades don't complain. Now if it just had wheels so I could scoot around better!

8. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

This is may be the best invention since ice cream. What a great tool
    for any man.
    One of the biggest draw backs to the car hobby is getting down and
    back up about a million times while working on your car, this thing
    remedies that problem especially for the ones that do not have room
    for a hoist.

A new toy for the old boys who play in the garage!

http://www.wimp.com/hydraulicchair/

9. Hey from Mt. Joy (township, that is!) Another vote for the Bone. They make an "off road'' version with bigger wheels also.
    Glad to see you passing the craft on to your son.

10. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

The bone for me too.

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Hah, that thing is wild! Great piece of engineering. Must be pricey though.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cardboard, a nice square of cardboard.

Doc.

(Someone had to say it!)

13. 28-31

28-31

Another vote for The Bone Creeper.

14. mow too much

mow too much

I need ti invent one that has brushes around the wheels to sweep away nuts, bolts and assorted junk out of the way, I get so mad when the thing won't roll.........or maybe be a little neater when I'm working.
    I have thought about the dog bone because it looks like you have more movement in your arms and if they have an off road version it may run over nuts and bolts.:D

15. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

16. papajohn

papajohn

I've had launch of creepers over the years. Broke all of them. They really aren't made for 300 lbs. Also hate how they get stuck in the floor expansion joints and nuts and bolts etc on the floor. Other problem is the added height needed requiring the car to jacked up an additional 3 or 4 inches.

I used a yoga mat for a while. Currently I have the old quilted vinyl seat upholstery off the rear bench seat of a 1971 Olds Delta convertible.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

17. ems customer service

ems customer service

18. aaggie

aaggie

I have a Bone and a Jeepers that I bought in 1964. The jeepers has been run over several times and didn't break and I replaced the wheels three times and recovered the headrest a few times.

The saving grace for the Bone is the bigger wheels roll easier and the little tool holder indentions along the side are handy.

If you decide on the Bone get a real one, not the cheap copy at HF.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Bone is great, but 2 problems: (1) It's a little short for me, although I'm very "long waisted", being 6'3" but wearing 30" inseam jeans. Hence when my butt is against the wheel pocket protrusions at one end, my shoulders are against the others at the other end. And my neck is on the headrest with my head hanging off the end. (2) Don't hang it up on a nail to keep it outta the way, cause if it gets bumped and falls, it will shatter to little pieces around the impact point. Ask me how I know!
    I'm using the Harbor Freight copy now. It's long enough, only costs $20 on sale, works OK.
    I have only an 8'.6" ceiling in my shop, so a lift is out, and at almost 76 yrs. it's tough getting up and down off a creeper. That's the second time I've seen that powered creeper and I'd really like more details on who builds it and the price.

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The traxion one with the big wheels rules. Plus it has a little brake so you can lock yourself in place.

That being said I usually stick a big piece of cardboard on my old shitty creeper to keep the wheels from pinching me.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a nice padded SnapOn but the rails hit me right in the shoulders all the time.

I'd go to Sears and look at a Craftsman 51158 Half the money of my SnapOn 20 years ago and it looks a lot more comfortable.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00951158000P?mv=rr&clicked=true
    heavy duty enough for the biggest of us and long enough for Dirty Old Man me thinks.

22. I built my own similar in style to a snap on. Just go to your local surplus store and find some caster wheels in the size you want. Some square tubing and plywood, and foam and vinyl and away you go. Actually that sounds like a lot of work now, but you can built it the way you want.

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

If you get your pony tail caught in the wheels 1 TIME, you're cured of creeper choice, and get regular hair cuts.

24. fsae0607

fsae0607

25. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I use cardboard, I search the cardboard rack at my local Dollar Store General and found some extra thick cardboard about 30 inches wide by about 21 feet---folded it to make it 3 layers thick, this works great and doesn't roll away when you are trying to loosen a bolt. I also use a 2-liter soft drink bottle filled with water placed under my neck for a head rest, works great and is very comfortable. And the best part, this is all free. Ray...

26. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I agree with the old cardboard creeper...its free, you can slide on it easily, it absorbs whatever fluid you are no doubt going to spill on it, and it doesnt sacrifice precious inches when it comes to snaking underneath your ride. I always keep a big cardboard box flattened out in my trunk in the event I need a creeper.

27. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

I have 2 creepers hanging in my garage almost always use cardboard cause its quicker to grab and with long hair thats been stuck in wheels to many times

28. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Ain't that the truth.

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Another vote for cardboard.

30. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

carpet for now but 2 post lift soon. cardboard also works. have a creeper a friend gave me ,hardly use it. i do use a shop stool with parts and tool holder under it.