Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Built Woody AA/FD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, Feb 7, 2009.

1. riceman

riceman

Spray some MIRACLE GROW on your MONEY TREE KERRY ! LOAD IT UP, WE'RE GOING ON A BOMBING RUN !

Attached Files:

2. Not to hijack your post But how would this look on the side. :)

Attached Files:

• b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
  3. riceman

riceman

Kerry , that would look good on the top of the Cowl, about 8'' on diameter with "Kansas Bomber in stencil print on it in red

4. riceman

riceman

Today was a BIG step with my Brissette & Sutherland Cackle Car. With Pops Bradford leading the way, and us youngin' learning the ROPES, here is what happen. The first try for warming up the motor never happen, because your's truly forgot to turn on the fuel. Out came the plugs, back the motor down and waited afew minutes. By then Pops was there, I put the plugs back in, backed the motor down again and my friend Ken was in the seat. Yes the motor runs better when the fuel is ON. The starter and I became user friendly. This was Ken's first ever fireup in a Top Fuel Dragster. A very special moment for two Fremont Drag Strip fence hangers. High Fives for All. The next subject was my first push start. We put the axles into the full floating axle housing, refueled, checked the tire pressures, torqued the wheels, checked the head bolt torque and adjusted the valves. What a pleasure it is to have DRE Roller Rockers on my motor. Now all I have to do is remember the firing order. Thanks again John. The moment I started to put on my driving gear, the adventure of my first fire up began. We had a team meeting and I got into the HOT SEAT. With the belts on and not even feeling the heat from 4 layers of Nomex, we pushed toward the starting line. I had Ken back down the motor again and we were ready. We waited for afew more bracket cars to run, a small clean up and Pops got the wave to push start me and there is no going back now. It is the NOW MOMENT ! Pops got up to speed, Clutch out, 70 psi Oil press, fuel on, throttle pedal down for a three count, mist out of the zoomies, butterflys shut and mag on. The motor catches once, then twice and I drive away from Pops. Another step closer and another Nitro Challenge is toast ! Fuel off , mag off and I make the turn off. The car steered fine and the brakes worked good. No Laundry yet. We pushed back and the next goal was discussed, a burnout. Pops give his blessing if I was ready. So I let the Officials know my intentions and it was no problem. The Race Director came over, safety checked the car over and was given the go ahead. We did a blower start and I rolled forward to get the feel of the throttle and clutch pedals. OPPS, KILLED THE MOTOR , not enough throttle. We backed up, backed the motor down, hooked up the starter again. We got the signal to fire up, I rolled forward with more throttle, Got into the water and got a wisp of smoke and the motor was too lean. The motor popped backed to the blower and I shut it off. Tomorrow is damage inspection. Thanks to all the Standard 1320 members for their support, Jet Car Bob, Denny Forsberg, Potvin Doug, and a special guest apperance by Geri Tarvin. Thank you for a very memoriable day POPS !

5. riceman

riceman

Damage Report :
    Popped thru the blower and the rotors are tweaked, Bent # 8 intake valve and cracked the guide. Spring and retainer look good but needs new keepers. All other cylinders are fine, # 8 bore is fine. I pulled out the rod & piston to check for damage. The top of the piston has 5 minor marks from the valve head, bearing looks new and no signs of a twisted or damaged to the rod. I have a stock 6-71 I'll put on the motor, New intake and exhaust for # 8 and taking off the 110 pump (13 gal.) and change to a 990 pump ( 15.7 gal.)because the motor is lean and wants more fuel. Adjusts will be made. Almost no fuel in the clean drained oil. 5 blower starts and the battery pack lost 2.8 volts, so the starter problems that we were having seem to be cured. A little reflection on my first push start was 3 years ago talking with Patty Foster. The push start unfolded like he said. I didn't see anyone and I was focus one a pin point at the end of the track in my line. The only mistake I did was to try a burnout and now the challenge to have my Fueler ready and it will be for the CHRR. Thank you all.

<META http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control content=on>

Attached Files:

6. riceman

riceman

The subject of the wrong spool in the barrel valve has come up. I will be going to a new "K" valve set up for Nitro. It sure seem with what has been plaguing the fuel systen is it is too lean. So off comes the old style Cube shaped Barrel valve and stop playing games with a lean motor.

7. Excellent right up to the part about the damage. Sounds like you have a handle on it. Living the dream!

8. skidlid

skidlid
    from motor city

Hey man looks cool nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    R

9. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

Riceman,

This thing gives me a throbbing blue veiner. I'm going to need a moment alone.

I grew up at Fremont and followed my dad, Walt Reynolds, around for years running his '68 Z28 in Stock Eliminator. He bought the car new, still owns it, and just finished racing it on Hot Rod Magazine's Drag Week. You may have some friends in common, because he knows Jet Car Bob as well.

I'll be at the CHRR covering it for my website, www.bangshift.com. I'll come find you.

Killer job.

10. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Told ya it was lean.....
    If I were you, I would leave the smaller pump, and just get things wet through the barrel valve. That intake manifold has to be dripping with liquid when you open it under any sort of load, but since you're only going to be smoking the hoops, the extra pump will never be used...it's just gonna go out the pipes.

11. riceman

riceman

New Nitro ''K'' valve is on now.

12. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

I did a story for Drag Racing Monthly about a dozen years ago called "Cheap Thrills" I know that it is floating around online and you can Google it. Somewhere in there I did a whole section on setting up a K valve for initial starting and baseline tuning. You might find it to be useful.

13. You did that?! I've got a copy I saved offline. Awesome stuff!

14. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Thanks. Alot of it is very general and very dated....it was before all the formula cars we have today had fully evolved, but the basic set-up stuff still applies pretty much the same.

15. Well, I'm an early hemi freak and I dream about running nitro so it's right on topic for me!

16. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Well, I've got a line on a couple of affordable 354's...maybe it's time you stop dreaming...........

17. I'm slowly stepping up. This 354 will run alcohol in the dragster behind it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to be hijacking the thread again.

18. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Kerry, that's some beautiful hardware you have there...lots of luck with it. If you ever decide to throw some can at it, feel free to gimme a call. I'll help however I can.

19. Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a wannabe compared to Riceman

20. riceman

riceman

Compare to WHO ? I am learning from my mistakes

21. riceman

riceman

So what do you do after dinner ? Sit around, watch the boob tube ? Stuff has to get done, so we pushed the Berzerko Bomb out to fire it up with the new "K" Barrel valve. We have been fighting a lean motor condition, so a major change was needed and having the right stuff. 8 pm, 85% in the tank, blank jet, .009'' air gap and we kept everything else the same on the motor. I had leaked the barrel valve to 80% baseline , then one flat richer. Backed the motor down, fuel & mag off, oil pressure up at 70 psi, Butterflys open, squirt in some gas, butterflys closed, fuel on , tighten up the starter, spin for 3 seconds , and mag on. The motor lights, I kepted bleeding gas and stayed on the starter till the motor was on the Nitro running. A very short time compared to before. 2 feet of solid flames, hitting on all 8 and ran for two minutes. It was still on the lean side , but it was THUMPIN and awhole lot louder ! I gave it another flat Fatter on the barrel valve and the rpm dropped alittle. It used up 1 3/4 GALLONS IN TWO MINUTES. I leaked the motor down and that was even better. 92% to a low # 5 at 80%. We are on the right track.

Attached Files:

22. Sweet!. That's the reason right there Riceman. I'm enjoying learing watching you! We do need video!

23. riceman

riceman

I am trying to work the video stuff into the BUDGET LOL. Here are a few from Kingdon Drags on 10-3-09, the FIRST time I drove my car and the FIRST Push start.

Attached Files:

24. |Tom|

|Tom|

Pure awesomeness, seeing smokin' sub-10second passes is out of this world!

25. riceman

riceman

Tom, you coming up to the CHRR with Ross Preen ? If so, come on by !

26. riceman

riceman

Any of you HAMBers coming to the CHRR, come on by......We will be burning up afew gallons of NITRO !

Attached Files:

27. mow too much

mow too much

Riceman, sounds like the adventure of a lifetime, love your car, sounds like an expensive learning curve.:D Enjoy the ride and keep on posting.

28. riceman

riceman

Thursday, took it easy. Friday, pulled the left head off, #5 & #7 was leaking 30%, Pops Bradford, opened all the guides another .001'', new exhaust valve in # 5, hand lapped them all in, put the head back on and the rest of the motor together. We fired the motor and was still having barrel valve adjustment problems. Mike Kuhl told me to pull the blower and check for leaks, tighten popoff plate, blower was out of time ,but ok to cackle and sealing was good and all gaskets good. We still needed help. We asked Rick McDonald for help. We stood back and let Rick do his thing. Idle check was off, too high a psi, reset the barrel spool, put a 70 jet(?) in the barrel valve, timing at 35/36 degrees, 80% Nitro instead of 85%, and fired the motor. OMG ! IT'S ALIVE ! It was 5 pm, we still had to load up and get to the Hotel for tonights Cackle. I was starting to LEANOUT ! Paul Sutherland came over and said them words of wisdom to me "MIGHTY FINE". Off to the Hotel

29. riceman

riceman

We got to the Hotel and unloaded. The crowd was already starting to build. Julie, Ken, Nadine, Rich and I all had our " WIN WITH DONOVAN" shirts on and were ready to have some fun. Then THE MAN showed up, Jim Brissette. My heart was pounding ! I wish the Fueler's first driver could have been here, Wild Bill Alexander, but he is on the mend and couldn't attend. Up steps Paul Sutherland with all his driving gear and the "MASK" from the Old Timer Gang. I missed getting a picture of Jim, Paul and myself with the car together. I hope someone got one. We were given the 5 minute to fire up and Paul got in. 44 years have gone by and here I stand next to Jim Brissette and Paul Sutherland together again ready to fire up my recreated Berzerko Bomb. On October 6, 1965 was the day of the 219 MPH pass. I am shaking. I grabbed the wrench and backed the motor off, Mag off, Fuel off and on goes the starter. I tighened up the starter and spin it up for oil pressure. We are good. Steve Gibbs gives me the ''Fire in the Hole", I give it a good squirt of alcohol, butterflys closed, tighten the starter up, fuel on and hit the starter. I gave Paul the signal to hit the mag. The motor catches, I am bleeding more alcohol till I here the Nitro come up. We are running ! Off comes the starter and oil pressure was good. Paul's red nose was lit and so were all the holes. I let her get some heat and the flames were coming up. I felt the heads and I stepped in front and brought the idle up. Man it was THUMPIN ! I felt the heads again, and racked the motor afew times. I checked the fuel in the tank and it was getting low and the shut off the fuel. The Brissette Bomb fell silent. THIS WAS SO BITCHIN ! I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF, I WAS CRYING and went over and gave Julie a long hug and a kiss. With Jim, Paul, great friends Ken & Nadine Riley and my Julie next to me, this was 5 minutes of my life I will never forget.

<META http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control content=on>

Attached Files: