Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GANTRY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, May 9, 2021.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Dos anyone know of a manufacturer that sells a gantry that is 96" inside dimension between posts. Most max out at 94". Need to get a car off my trailer that doesn't have a running gear. The frame is there but no driveline. I guess I could remove my fenders on the trailer but I really hate to do that.

2. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

A tree limb to get it off the trailer. And a tarp to give you some time to figger out how to move it inside. Jack E/NJ

Sandgroper likes this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You could build your own gantry to whatever dimension works for you!

Sandgroper likes this.
  4. You could slip a sheet of plywood under it and use a chain fall to drag it off, or put pieces of pipe under the plywood and do it like the Egyptians.

stillrunners, Just Gary and loudbang like this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Use some jacks...4x4s and furniture dollys.....been there.

stillrunners and Just Gary like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my gantry that I have lifted a lot of stuff with. The I beam is surplus aluminum and the posts are surplus steel tubing that originally braces for some military structure.
    I'd say you could use the appropriate size lumber to build a suitable one but That might cost as much or more as scavenging the steel to build one similar in size to what I have.

I raised the front of the Model A with the chain hoist and gantry and the back with my cherry picker and some careful balancing using the 2x6 and the Workmates that didn't hold much if any actual weight. It wouldn't be hard to raise the back off the trailer high enough to stick a long enough 4x4 across under the back and block it up and then raise the front with a cherry picker or jacks and block it up the same and pull the trailer out then lower it a bit at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker, Budget36 and flatford39 like this.
  7. brading

brading

If you go on " pinterest " and put Gantry crane in the search engine there is some good DIY ideas there.

8. Budget36

Budget36

How about using two FWD mini van rear axles from a pick and pull? Get creative with some wood scrap blocks to sit under the frame and roll it off.
    Once in place, tack in some 1x box tubing to the axles to hold things in place.
    Maybe because I come from a smaller community, read as tight ass farmers, I’ve never known anyone to buy a gantry.

When we outgrew our swing set, my dad rounded up angle iron and let it be a pattern. Pretty much just wrapped the A frame up with the angle iron and welded it all together and tied the end legs together.
    I learned the art of top down semi vertical stick welding. He did the crossbar and joints.

Aw, the good old days when used iron and electricity was cheap!

9. Budget36

Budget36

Thinking about it a bit more, you could take the two rear axles I mentioned, use some box tubing or angle iron and tack weld under your frame to act as a temporary suspension and roll it off the trailer.
    Damned night shift has me think of things at odd hours...

10. SS327

SS327

Or you could just use a 4x4 and a strap and just drag it off of there.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The problem is that you have to lift it, so it'll clear the fenders, so it will slide off the trailer? Or ?????

Pictures of your situation, will really help keep the suggestions on track....

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I did the following (by myself) with a 51 Mercury sitting on a bare frame w no suspension;
    Strap the car to a tree or vehicle. Pull the trailer forward slowly until the back end of the car frame makes contact with the 2 car dollies you've placed (or the ground). Pull forward a bit more until the front end of the frame is only a couple of feet from dropping off the back of the trailer. Now roll your cherry picker under the tail end of the trailer, lift that end of the car clear from the trailer bed. Pull trailer clear, then lower that end onto 2 car dollies. Roll the car into the garage.
    Of course this will work best if you have level, smooth pavement in front of your garage.

vtx1800 likes this.
  13. I think his trailer is wider than the gantry posts... At least that's how I'm reading the OP.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I get that, but it sounds like he can't just slide the car off the trailer, either...which is how I like to do it....

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Get the 94” gantry, a little bit of cutting and welding and it can be 96” no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

'51 Norm likes this.
  16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I have jacked vehicles up high enough to slip 6x6 post's across then cribbed them up...

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

IMG_1213.JPG heck , if even done it with free buildings!!

18. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

You could make my HF 94" 96"+ with a drill

IMG_20210510_195309547.jpg

Mike

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may not be the best idea but some of those Harbor Freight Dollies are supposed to be able to hold 1000 lbs each and a guy could slip some under the body on the trailer and roll the body back and block up the back so you can gently pull the trailer out from under it. Guys use them to roll cars around the shop rather than the more expensive ones made to go under tires.

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

love a good gantry....played a lot in that sand......ive got the 51 chrysler in my avatar that was a gantry candidate...plan fizzled ..for now....