Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ganahl's Roadster at the GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I can completely understand being stressed out, and upset with the placement of the roadster by John Buck. Everyone has a bad day or two. The roadster certainly deserved a more prominent spot.

Anyway, since you're planning on bringing your roadster to the LA Roadster Show, how about if I stop by and introduce myself properly to you and perhaps we could chat for abit over a cold beverage.:cool:

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Thanks Pat.....thanks for a beautiful roadster......hope to make it to GNRS someday.....and, thanks most of all for being a great guy when I was fortunate to be in Ca. in 1997 and I was able to go to the LA Roadster Show......awesome for a guy born and raised in the midwest in the 50's.....reading Hot Rod and "California Dreaming". Pat was working a booth and selling Rodders Journal subs.....I signed up and bought some back issues.......and had a wonderful conversation about writing, old Chevs of the 40-50's and 6cyl. speed stuff. It was a great part of a wonderful day. Pat couldn't have been nicer. Thanks again.

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I never saw that car either, what a shame, it's awesome.

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

Another thought on approaching Pat Ganahl or any other "celebrity" for that matter.....many of them actually are very, very introverted and viscerally despise "shooting the shit" just for the sake of it......they express themselves in their writing, their craftsmanship or their driving. And.....respect their time and space. I have been blessed to meet and have actual in-depth conversations with Roger Penske, Linda Vaughn, Rick Mears, Paul Newman, A.J.Foyt (OK, he threw a tantrum and a laptop down pit lane during Indy practice), Smokey Yunick, Bobby Allison, the Andretti's, the Unsers' etc etc.......and all conversations began with introductions and then respect for time and space........and in all cases, very, very interesting conversations followed.........

5. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Sorry I opened a can of worms with my comment about Pat being a Butt head. But he was rude. I have always loved his work and was a person whom I did not know but really wanted to meet. It is his work that got me into Kustom cars. Do to that I built a 60's style mild Kustom that I enjoy and has gotten me a lot of recognition and even an invite to be in Blackie's show. Do to giving me the Kustom bug bite I owe him a big thank you and that was what I was trying to do when he was rude to me. I wasn't trying to be his new best friend and tie up his time just wanted to show my appreciation to him for the years of fun I have had do to his work. Maybe I took it wrong? I would like to meet him again and maybe get a better feeling about him.

6. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Tractor Guy. I agree with what you are saying 100% about respecting celebrities space. I go to Sacramento Autorama just about every year or I go to the Rod and custom show in SF. I drive down from Washington just because there are so many cool cars that Californians build that I don't get to see other than in magazines. Every time I see a celebrity I never say hi as I know that they are just there to have a good time like I am. But celebrities should stop and think about how they act towards people when confronted. I wouldn't act that way to anyone I believe in treating everyone with total respect even if you are having a bad day.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Pgan, last weekend was a snow storm here, lost Direct TV, so I put in your VHS tape. Still a great one, too bad it was the only one. Joe

8. Kurt's Car

Kurt's Car

Met Mr. Ganahl only once. Four years ago at the Fathers Day meet, asked if I could take a picture of him with my boys. He was very accomodating and gracious. My boys couldn't understand why I thought it was important they meet him until I explained he was the guy that wrote the little 4 inch book "Hot Rods and Cool Customs" that they used to carry around with them everywhere we went. By the time they were 8 years old they could explain anything from an A Bone to Zoomie headers. Later when we got home I showed them all the books/magazines he wrote that influenced me.

Thanks Pat.

100_0158.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well, pgan

It is your car and your decision ...
    But the roadster deserves to be with the other ROADSTERS ...
    IMHO

The quality of the build ... and the high number of folks ( myself included ) who would like to see it in person ... warrants it being with the roadsters ... where it would be easier to FIND.

When I come to Los Angeles ( from South Carolina ) I always put my old roadster over on the ROADSTER side.

[​IMG]

Maybe I will run into you and my friend Denise there :D :D
    Deuce Daddy Don is supposed to be there also :)

10. We saw it. The pictures do not do it justice. Well done Mr Ganahl.

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I don't really want to start something, but have you been to a Tulsa Starbird Show?

12. Beautiful!!!! Love the color

13. Joe King

Joe King

I couldn't believe it when I saw the car. We were heading out and for some reason we walked do that way and thought why the heck did the put such a great roadster there.
    Very Beautiful car.

14. that should have contented for the JJ award. so unfortunate, a beautiful car and example of a Traditional build.

15. I met Pat at the 2009 LARS when I was down in Socal on vacation. I saw him late on Sunday walking around looking at the cars and finally caught up with him just as he made it to his pickup. I introduced myself as a long time fan and we chatted for probably half an hour, about hot rods, writing, photography, design, etc. When I mentioned I was really hoping to see his roadster, he mentioned the generator problem and asked, if I was not busy the following day, would I like to come by the house and check it out, maybe go for a ride??!!! I had known him for all of 30 minutes! Had I not been tied up for the rest of the week I would have definitely taken him up on the offer - as it was, I asked for a rain check for the 2010 LARS and he agreed. Pat struck me as a very open, down-to-earth friendly guy, just as I had always imagined he would be based on the way he comes across through his writing.

Steve

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

He and I emailed mid way thru last year, when I was toying up selling everything I had in order to buy a big purchase from him.

In his emails he was honest, and very forthcoming about the goods. He even suggested that I visit him whilst I was in LA.

The deal never came off - we both had a part to play in this not happenning, but I feel as though I could deal with him again with no problems.

Unfortunately he is a vert tall poppy (read: icon) in the hot rod industry, and sometmes whilst we envy these guys, we don't allow our heros to be human. Like all of us - our heros can have bad days and good days. Shit I'd hate to be constantly interrupted at an event by someone wanting to meet me, or tell me something, when all I want to do is enjoy the event too. I guess it'd be like being a popular teacher in your early school years - gotta tell the teacher this and that ..... it'd do my head in!!!!

He pushes a great pen, builds fantastic cars, and we should appreciate for that, and sometimes just let him be.

17. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Would have gotten my vote for sure...

18. fat141

fat141

:

Super guy who I hold in the highest regard.[/QUOTE]

X2
    Met him at 25th Paso and then Santa Maria, got HIS name on the glovebox. :cool:
    I enjoy braggin' about it too

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  19. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Just so you know, there were no bands on the stage this year . The Pinstriping Reunion auction tables were there for 3 days and then the awards for the show.

20. DRD57

DRD57

Bullshit!

[​IMG]

21. 65 impala

65 impala

thats a beauty

22. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I know it is off topic but that is a killer TA.

23. bonesy

bonesy

That is such a perfect car.

24. weez

weez

I didn't see it either, love that car! I dig Pat too.

25. You probably can't even see it,but in 2007 when my Merc was in the Suede Palace,it was parked in front of me...Blue grill and primer body...

[​IMG]

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

beautiful,work love this ride.