Register now to get rid of these ads!

Galaxie Power steering Solutions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StanDaManTX, May 11, 2010.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

I am going to bag my 63 Monterey(same chassis as galaxie) in the near future and I hear about lots of problems with the power steering hanging too low.

I have done a search and found many threads on the topic, plenty offer suggestions of what may work, but none come back and say "HEY I DID THIS AND IT WORKS"

I understand that a late model gm rack can be made to work, but I have already re-built all of my power steering and have new components. I am wondering what you guys have done to either move the ram up, or bypass the ram all together, so it doesnt get so close to the ground?

Pictures would be awesome! Thanks for any help.

2. Flaming River makes a rack conversion, Randalls Racks makes one and then there is this guy http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/

As for moving the ram on the stock stuff, don't think there is any place to move it to. As for removing it, better start working out! You will also have to remove the pump etc. We did that to my wifes 56 T Bird and it is tough to steer!

3. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty sure that rack and pinion is out due to cost. I dont know much about steering. Does anyone know if The Donahue "power steering to manual steering conversion" works? Do you think this will make my steering really hard?
    http://www.gregdonahue.com/PDF-30/PowerSteeringParts.pdf

4. Auto Krafters sells the same piece and the steering will just feel like a manual steering car. They use the same steering box with and without power steering, the power just added the assist cylinder. It's not like a modern box where the fluid feeds directly into the box, with those my experience has been they are very hard to steer with the lines "Looped" compared to the "true" manual equivalent.