Register now to get rid of these ads!

Galaxie Help....Clutch / Brake pedal jacked up..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Jun 12, 2012.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 64 Galaxie with a 390 / 3spd column shift..... My clutch / brake pedal appears to be twisted under the dash. The clutch pedal will only come out so far and then it binds up on the fuse panel...I thought the clutch was going out but now I think the pedal is not letting it engage fully. From what I can find on the web there are some bushings that can be replaced. Hopefully this will help correct the problem. My questions are...

Anybody else ever had this problem?

Do I have to remove pedal assembly from under the dash to fix it?

I was trying to find a diagram of the bushings and how it comes apart but have not had any luck...

I will post pictures later...

2. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody? Nothing? All the Galaxie guys on here and nobody has run into this?

3. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bob...

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yank the pedals out and check the bushings,I had to replace them in my 65 galaxie.

5. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where did you get the bushings? Dearborn?

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I cant remember where I got mine but I think most of the reproduction parts places have them and I think they are the same as mustangs too.

7. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So i am finally getting on this little job....and I am catching hell....in order to take the assembly out you have to take the dash loose....not what I was expecting...does this sound correct? Anyone ever removed the pedal assembly out of a Galaxie?

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You should not have to take the dash loose to remove the pedals.

9. BHoover

BHoover
    from Neosho MO

There is a big e clip on the shaft that goes threw the pedal assembly it should come right out.

10. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok so I fanally got the pedals out....but.....the bracket that holds the pedals has what I am calling metal bushings and they are completely wallied out...I will post a pic in a minute...so now my question is how in the hell do you get the bracket out? I have it loose but can't get it out.

Two bolts that hold the top of the bracket between the windshield and the dash are out....steering column loose from the dash and bracket.....master cylinder loose from the dash and bracket...but the only thing I can tell will work is to pull the dash away from the firewall...pain in the ass...

11. I've never had to pull one that far apart. Since the bracket is probably toast, get your hands on a replacement, it may help you visualize how the old one comes out.

Bob

12. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I took the dash loose...it was the only way i could get it out....major pain in the ass...I had to take the stailess trim loose from the head liner to get it out...not joking...I feel like I took the entire car apart at this point...I realized that I would not be able to fix it without taking it out...So here is what I have to work with...can this be repaired or am I going to have to find another one? looks like these sleeves are pressed in...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tell me what you think...Thanks

13. 432bullet

432bullet

You migh try posting on the FE engine form and the Ford muscle car ( Galaxie) sites, A lot of good info for Galaxie owners.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look here: http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html

Not sure if the Galaxie shaft is the same diameter, but if it is, you can repair it with this kit, as I have numerous Falcons and Mustangs. The website says "Fits almost all early Fords".

Smooth operation. Pretty easy install. Give Steve a call.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  15. barstowpo

barstowpo

I think I have one of those I just pulled out of a 63 Mercury. It was an auto car so it should be good. Let me know if you can't find one locally.

16. Looks like the way to go... send yours out, take a rest and wait for it to come back. With all my experience with Falcons, Fairlanes, Mustangs and big Fords, I never saw one go bad.

Bob

17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I have been over there...did some searching...but came up empty handed. Is it me or is that forum hard to read? Maybe it is me...Seems hard to follow to me...Anyhow...thanks for the heads up.

18. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checked it out...and that does look like a cureall...on the flip side I have already purchased all of the nylon bushings, spacers, and stuff to re-do my bracket....not knowing that it was beat to hell and back. I found a 63-64 bracket on ebay this morning that looks perfect...I bought it...should have by Friday so I can get this thing back together this weekend...before I forget how. Thanks for the link, I will hang on to it incase I ever have to go back in.

19. barstowpo

barstowpo

How much was the eBay bracket?

20. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$100.00 plus the ride...from NJ...7 day return policy so if I am no happy I can send it back...I may end up sending mind to Steve and do the upgrade...not sure yet..

21. Domino

Domino

I put the Mustang Steve bearing kit in my 62. It was a very simple install. It fit perfect and the pedals move very smooth. It does require welding, but it is only a few spot welds.

22. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got the replacement bracket and all is good. It is like new and I am ready to put everything back together.....until I remembered that back when I first bought it there was a possible leak in the heater core...almost like it was steaming from under the dash so I figured it would be a good time to replace it...Why not...?...the dash is already out...So I am working on that as well...I cant wait to ride!

23. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New assembly going in...
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

24. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old heater core coming out...

Attached Files:

25. barstowpo

barstowpo

That explains your steam.

26. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

27. Domino

Domino

Did you have the pedal assist spring?

28. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah....I actually bought a new one from Dennis Carpenter...

29. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool...thanks for the info...I may have to put that on my X-mas list...