Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gabeline auction IOWA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Jun 10, 2017.

1. bct

bct

Stogy likes this.
  2. bct

bct

must of been one heck of a car guy.

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

He sure did have a thing for RED ??

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I've heard that he who dies with the most toys wins, but this is over the top !

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lots of cool stuff there. if I had all that stuff and a bunch of family I would make sure they know how to sell stuff on their own before I die. between what the auction charges and the taxes you will then pay that would cut the $$$ in half.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @bct...ya gotta have a mechanical drool once a day and today you provided one to cover a couple of days at least.
    The fellow knew what he liked and showered his life with it and seems to have had the space and funding to do it. He had something for everyday of the year and no doubt actually drove them

Perhaps someone here knew this guy and has some stories to share.

7. tractorguy

tractorguy

I do not know the guy and just started doing a little research when I first saw the sale. Sounds like he was a farmer who just kept getting bigger and bigger, buying up all the land he could. Then like other large farmers he started a trucking company to haul all his grain. After that, he decided he could get a better price for his grain by buying his own grain elevators/storage facilities/truck and rail terminals. Like a lot of other farmers in the 1940's thru the 1980's, he realized he could get a better price on all his trucks if he bought a GMC dealership.
    Next time your local newspaper writes a tear-jerker article about starving farmers......be at least a little skeptical.
    Hope to be at the auction for at least a couple of days.

Stogy and bct like this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek::D Man oh man.Talk about drool city.That is IT.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. toml24

toml24

Imagine an episode of the Twilight Zone where all those tractors suddenly started up on their own and were running amok through town!

Stogy and tractorguy like this.
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Oh......I forgot the best part (I do not know if this was a factor for Mr.Gabeline)......when you get upset paying the local banker interest for all the $$$$ you need to borrow to do the above-mentioned expansions.......you get on the board of the local bank......and then you buy the bank !!

11. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to go to that.

12. walter

walter

I sold Bob grain trailers in the late 80's. I was on that farm many times and I new he had a couple of cars. I had no idea that he had this size of collection. Bob and his family always treated me good. There is a sign at the county line that say RICHEST COUNTY PER CAPITAL IN THE UNITED STATES>

Stogy and tractorguy like this.
  13. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I knew him and don't live too far from him. Maybe 90 minutes. Anyone wanting to buy, just send me a blank check and I'll take care of you... LOL

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey thanks all for shedding light on this fellow. Perhaps he was a Hamber. He was successful in his endeavours, seemed an okay guy and lived the dream. He did enjoy some modded stuff to it seems. Boy the cruise nights around there will soon see a bump in attendance...

15. carmantodd

carmantodd

a really great collection! have been working for the auction company for the last few months inspecting all the cars. great cars! great signs! great parts! and pedal cars like i have never seen. this isnt just an auction its an event! i hope i can control myself but im sure i will overspend.

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did anyone make it to this auction?

17. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Looks like lots of strong prices for vehicles that will need some "recommissioning".
    Got to love that mob excitement :)
    let's see what the Car Corral @ Iola looks like this weekend, there might be some "second chances" ?

stillrunners likes this.