Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FYI Grundy Insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Just a little venting. After being insured with Grundy for over 29 years I just rec'd a letter stating my Altus 2017 011.jpg Burned 61 001.jpg Side Shot Saturday.jpg insurance would not be renewed in January.
    Reason was that there were 2 claims filed in the last 5 years. 1 for $2600 and change in 2014 ( Vandalism on a 1932 Ford) and the last 1 was for $30,000 on 5/7/2017 (Total loss on a fire of a 1961 Chevy bubble top) Both out of my control. After 29 years with them it kinda pisses me off. Now on the hunt for another company Need to insure my 32 (all henry) 5 window and my 32 Ford roadster (glass) Any suggestions?
    Rant over

Rogue63 likes this.
  2. 6inarow

6inarow

Kind of irritating isnt it? As long as you send those bastards money its all good. when they have to meet their obligation, they give you the boot. Haggerty? Is it any better??

3. Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll start shopping around just in case.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I just called Grundy to get a quote on my old cars and my drivers, so to have'em under "one roof." They called back and said I wasn't eligible, due to 2 claims in the last 5 yrs. Both of these were for our drivers and none on the classic cars. One was because a deer ran into the side of our car and another when someone backed into our parked car. Neither were our fault, but still held against us. It's bullshit!!

5. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I've insured my cars with State Farm for years...no problems.

zzford and WDobos like this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Same thing, same company, happened to my friend this summer. I guess you only get a claim or two with them and you are gone.

7. twvandy

twvandy

I use Heacock Classic an had no problems, but I have not filed any claims either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

johnhbailey and da34guy like this.
  8. Just checked Hagerty and was over $350 more for $100 K of coverage. They got ya by the gonads.

zzford and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I moved mine to American national/Chrome. Ive heard good and bad on them. Have better coverage on my bikes than before and lower deductibles on my house and daily driver, and im saving 1k a year vs state farm and Grundy. They give breaks for having multiple collector cars under the reasoning you can only drive one at a time.
    Havent made a claim yet, but my agent is super easy to contact and always has or finds the answer for me

Pinstriper40 and egads like this.
  10. You'll never have a problem with your insurance company, so long as the money flows from your pocket to theirs. Reverse routing? After all these years now we've got a problem!!

6inarow, zzford, seadog and 8 others like this.
  11. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Be careful of State Farm. I've had them on my daily drivers for about 35 years, since I was a kid. I had two classic cars added to my policy, specifically as low mileage driven 'classics'. I once got a good look at my policies, comparing them, and found they were depreciating the value of my 'classics' just as they do on a new car.

Insured my classics with Grundy for stated/agreed upon value, and have not had any problems. Although, I've never had a claim yet, either.

XXL__ likes this.
  12. pitman

pitman

Appreciated! Agreed value can confirmed by an appraisal.

WDobos likes this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

I have Hagerty's and got the towing package. I have used the towing service twice with very good results.
    Never have submitted a claim though.......hope I never have to.

Paul B and Dooley like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We had 2 claims after 16 years with American Family Insurance; one was a hit-and-run I was involved with (NOT my fault at all), and my wife had an at-fault claim that was an almost 19K loss for Am. Fam. Got our notice of non-renewal; we had all the vehicles, the house, and an umbrella policy all with them. We still have the house and umbrella policy, "for now". The insurance company we got for our daily drivers won't insure the 56 Sedan Delivery; the best is for me to get a broad form policy with them so I can drive it, but it won't cover it at all; that's not going to work. I tried Grundy and Hagarty, no go with either one. The real kicker: the day before yesterday, American Family Insurance sent us a "survey" to evaluate how our recent claim was handled (?????), and how were we "satisfied"!!!!! Now I know how physicians feel about malpractice insurance.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Always keep in mind that insurance companies got "the final say" and their wealth was accumulated via "risk management".........which may mean unsatisfied policy holders as a result............

16. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

What happened to the guy that built the glass 32 3W and it got stolen out of his garage. He got into a major mess and got arrested for insurance fraud because his 32 had an original title and was not registered as an assembled vehicle. I remember reading about it on here (long read). He had Grundy Ins.

wkends and H380 like this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

cabboy, I think the incident you've referenced was more then just a simple theft.

18. Many years go the local "neighbor " insurance company used to have a hand out pamphlet that told you how they assessed a claim against the policy . We used this at the shop to help a customer determine to repair a car on their own or turn in a claim . It also helped in determining how much in additional premium they would expect to pay over 3 years for turning in a loss and when you could expect to be blessed . I have never seen any other insurance company tell you upfront how a claim affected your premium . The " neighbor " discontinued making this info public decades ago and followed suit with the other carriers. Insurance , a legalized Ponzi scheme .

19. 5window

5window

I have American Modern for my non-dailies and Nationwide for my daily drivers. A few claims on Nationwide-didn't raise my rates. Good rates on the hotrods with guaranteed vales but no claims. The AM policy lets me "stack" the liability coverages with the Nationwide policy so my liability coverage on each car goes from $100/300 to $4000000/1,200,000.

20. badvolvo

badvolvo

AMFAM just bought me a new roof, and paid my deductible a total of $16,000.00+. A claim on my wife's daily was not handled so well, I was not pleased, how can you call it "betterment" when a previously damaged car is worth less, but the new paint on the fender makes it worth more?
    I also have my classics insured at agreed value, no appraisal, the agent just looked at them. I attempted to change after the deal with my wife's daily, both Hagerty and Grundy were much higher than I pay today. I have had AMFAM since 1978, same agent. Other claims went well, but never had a claim on my toys. If I do, and they claim anything for betterment, the adjuster may never be found.

21. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

No claims so far, but I switched from American Family to Hagerty and saved over 3 grand a year on premiums for a multi-car collection.

22. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I`m currently dealing with grundy, trying to get my car insured. They`ve had my check and a month has passed. I guess they need a copy of my title, I don`t ever remember having to give a copy of my title to any insurance co. It would seem the number would suffice?

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Insurance...'Mandatory Legalized Extortion'

24. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i have had 2 claims on my 35 for a total $13,000 , home $17,000 with amer. family no problem yet!!!

25. Grundy = Greedy
    Oldmics

zzford likes this.
  26. Is that the group that split off from Grundy some years ago?

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

JC Taylor, Condon&Skelly, Hagerty, Progressive might write you with the claims. Sadly it's the way it is with most companies today, 2 claims 3/5 years and you are out of the preferred rate class/company, this includes your home as well. Everyone should raise their deductable and eat the small problem's, save insurance claim for the big one. I Do Not agree with this , but it's the way it is and like I use to tell my kid's, No it's not fair, but this is the way it is. Your premiums should come back down after 3/5 years of no claims, depending on company. Good Luck in your search.

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have had American Collectors on mine. Agreed value, some miledge concerns gotta garage them. Added my Studebaker put last fall both vehicles are under $250 total. They are in NJ and not underwritten for some states so check to see if they cover your state. No claims but for regular issues they are easy to deal with. They ask me every other year if I would to increase values as the market value rises.

scrapiron and mike in tucson like this.