Register now to get rid of these ads!

FYI Flathead for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fast Bill, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Fast Bill

Fast Bill

I was in a salvage yard today here in San Antonio and saw a '53 Ford car with a complete flathead, missing only the carb. $500 for the engine. It has been open to the weather, but we haven't had any rain lately. Condition unknown. Any interest?

Bill

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

the car is 59 years old and because you haven't had any rain lately, that is a plus? If it's only been there a few weeks, perhaps. If it was hauled there when it was less than five years old and the carb was sold six months later.....I bet there's been some rain between then and now. Still, weird to find, most of those older cars were parted out and then crushed years ago. Maybe it IS a recent arrival. It's hard to hurt a flathead past the point of recovery.

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Wow, I'm packing my bags, fueling up and heading down the road. What time do they open on Monday? I want to be the first there, sure to be a long line...... $500 is a decent price for a good block with the heads off.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

That would be a fair deal if it was assured to be rebuildable. Unfortunately, buy flatheads is a crap shoot unless they're disassembled at least to point of determining there are no severe cracks.

As is.....it's not worth much....

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

$100 is too much if you don't know the condition of the internals and block. I've heard too many stories of $500 flatheads ending up at the scrap metal recycler .