Register now to get rid of these ads!

FYI: Autolite spark plug manufacturing moved to China

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I just bought two boxes of four Autolite 85 spark plugs. The first box I pre-gapped here at the counter at work, they all looked fine and gapped fine. The second box the spark plugs were distinctly different. The ground electrodes are coated with some glossy material and the ground electrode doesn't hover over the center electrode on 3 out of the 4 plugs...it sits about half way over the center electrode. I'm no engineer, but it seems this may cause a spark problem. The first box, which was fine, was Made in Mexico, the second box with the bad electrodes is Hecho en Chine...Made in China. The made in China box has the number 85 and barcode actually printed on the box, the Mexico versions have the number 85 and barcode stamped on the box after the fact. Both boxes also state where they are made on the back in fine print.

Just a heads up. If Autolite has moved manufacturing to China and this is the quality they will be offering, it may be time to switch brands.

2. Autolites have been crap ever since Ford sold them to Fram.....

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

It seems that quality parts are getting harder and harder to find. Are ANY plugs made in America?

4. Champions are

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love my NGKs. One of the only furrin' parts I actually buy!

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

I can't figure out why my NGK's fouled out in less than 300 miles.... I was told to go to Autolite's or Champions by a couple buddies with similar motors.

7. I tried NGK's in my flathead because everyone rants and raves over them. I've fowled 2 in the last 500 miles...

8. Want a good plug? Motorcraft.... but they're only available from a Ford dealer, won't be cheap, and they don't make them for everything anymore.

For those who don't know the semi-recent history of Autolite plugs, these were made by Ford for years and were the first choice for performance applications, no matter what brand motor you ran (and to a large extent, Fram has been living on that reputation ever since). But they were victims of their own success, they very nearly put Champion out of business because they had so much of the aftermarket sales. The 'gubmint' stepped in and forced Ford to sell off the spark plug division, which they did (to Fram). Ford continued to use Autolite plugs in their new cars (purchased from Fram) but started having warranty complaints of poor-running cars, traced to defective plugs. Fram wouldn't address the quality-control issues, so Ford went back into the plug business. Initially just for their own use, but they started marketing them through parts houses again and started gaining market share... a lot of market share. The govt stepped in again (due to complaints from Champion, and now Autolite), but this time Ford agreed to withdraw from the aftermarket and only sell though their new car dealers and fleet outlets.

Fram/Autolite quality got so bad at one point that if you bought 8 plugs, it was nearly 100% that at least one would fail within a few hundred miles. They finally improved quality somewhat, and to lure people back started offering a 'lifetime' warranty.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

No clue. They've been fantastic in my 390 horse 440, a slant 6 I was getting 26 MPG out of, and 350 so far. I do tend to run a hot ignition system though.

I guess your mileage may vary. ;)

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

So are Champion any good, because I hear different opinions. Are Motorcraft really THAT good?

11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work for an independant automotive shop that has been in bussiness for 36 years. I have been here for 13 years. My boss swore by Autolite and wouldnt ever consider another plug. We do a large variety of cars and trucks here from new to classics from any part of the globe. He claims he had never had a problem with an Autolite and in the first 11 years of me working here, neither had I. A few years ago we started seeing the problems with the Autolite, wierd problems. Center electrods sliping down and hitting the ground electode and shorting it out. These would happen within a few days of a car leaving the shop. Hell knows no fury like that of a customer who has paid to have an ignition miss fixed only to come back again a day or two latter with the "same" problem. Even after showing the customer what happened to the plug it is very difficult to gain there trust again and of the four customers that it happened to, none returned for any other work. We contacted out local Fram rep and he was going to look into it for us and nothing ever came about with it. We now sell NGK. Its a shame, Autolite used to be a great product, hopefuly they can turn it around.

12. Champion makes a decent plug, but they don't last all that long in my experience.

As to Motorcraft, I've never had one fail (and I can't say that about any other brand I've tried) but that's just my personal experience. The big problem is they don't make the range of plugs they used to, and they can be hard to get. Ford dealers only stock what they use in most cases, so you'll be special-ordering them if you're driving anything but a Ford product.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well that just sucks...I have some 38 year old Autolite BF22, brand new and some slightly used of about the same vintage..Survivers I guess; I can't use anything that cold now..If I remember right the last batch of A'lites I bought I wasn't happy with a new number "overlapping" several old numbers/heat ranges...

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

Well hell, I can't believe the options out there are so pathetic. Champion gets reviews for better efficiency, decent performance and short life span. Autolite gets reviews for longer life span, mediocre fuel efficiency and apparently, unreliable quality. Bosch are good plugs made for Asian vehicles. Motorcraft are likely the best performing and most reliable, but mainly available for Ford vehicles. NGK's have a good reputation, especially the Iridium version, but I just smoked 8 of them in less than 300 miles. My choices seem to be Autolite (crap shoot) or NGK Iridiums. Isn't outsourcing great?!

15. bgaro

bgaro

oh crap, i just bought 85's the other day now that u mention it i notices one set of four didn't have the washer/ring thing installed and electrode outta gap by a mile. i better double check. good looking out.

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

17. greybeard360

greybeard360

Motorcraft is available at O'Reilly and other places.

Ford Motor Company launched the Motorcraft auto parts division in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell. Motorcraft was originally launched in the 1950s with very little success, and was dropped when Ford purchased the Autolite trade name. Ford was forced to sell Autolite by the Federal Trade Commission. The Government found Ford had violated antitrust laws.

I started working at a Ford dealer in Pomona in 1971 right as all this was taking place. Wasn't all that big of a thing to the dealer except starting at that time, you could buy Motorcraft at auto supplies instead of only at the dealer.

18. kursplat

kursplat

is there an Autolite > Motorcraft cross reference chart somewhere?
    i've been happy with NKG's in my SB mopar, but Motorcrafts would be nice option

19. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Thanks, Buzznut for the heads up. My shop has been using Autolites for decades. Can't take a chance on a come-back. We'll be switching over to something else.

20. greybeard360

greybeard360

Motorcraft used to use the same numbering system as Autolite.... then Autolite adapted the plug number system that has no relevance to the plug type, heat range, threads etc. You can read a Motorcraft number, or AC or Champion and get that infor from the plug number. Even Champion is crossing over to that number system it seems, except in performance plugs. An auto supply should have a cross reference book to help with that.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've run Autolite 75's for years. Went to put some fresh ones in the old girl last spring (way over due), and the NAPA man said no-go. Now 85 is the new 75. Obviously, the off-shore producers can't count that low. Wish I'd have stockpiled a bunch back when NationWise used to sell 'em for 49cents apiece.

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

I wouldn't have thought to even look for that thread. Since I got one box from Mexico and one from China, I assumed the change-over to manufacturing in China was recent...apparently not. Maybe they are doubling up manufacturing in both places. If given the choice, the Mexico ones seem to be better quality. I could be wrong...electrodes could be nothing more than recycled Tecate cans and Cadillac hubcaps. :rolleyes:

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's what I'm up against. I wanted 74's...they no makie no moe in chinaland, so I'm stuck with a hotter plug by going to the 85's. As cheap as they are I can afford to try them out, but not more than a few times before it becomes frustrating.

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Try here:

http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf

Cross reference by plug manufacturer starts on page 192.

25. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

74=as42c

Possible spark plugs for AUTOLITE 74:

AC Delco 42S
    Accel 134
    Beru 14-5F
    Bosch W7FC
    Bosch W9FC
    Brisk K15YC
    Champion J10Y
    Champion J12YC
    Denso W20P-U
    Denso W20PR-U
    Denso W20PU
    Denso stk 5045
    Eyquem 600CS
    General Motors 5612179
    Iskra FS55P
    Mighty M4-42
    Mopar 2642913
    Motorcraft AS42C
    Motorcraft A22
    Napa X500NGK R5670-6
    Prestolite 14-2X
    Splitfire SM008E

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  26. Buzznut

Buzznut

awesome!

27. kursplat

kursplat

28. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Gotta love the "global economy"..............................

29. rld14

rld14

Funny this came up...

I was going to get replacement plugs for my Lincoln that I'm playing with the heads on... I pulled Autolites out of it and was going to get Motorcrafts because I remembered hearing that Autolites were now made in China.

Besides, as shitty as Fram filters are these days I don't exactly trust their brands.....

30. The" dude"

The" dude"

I will bet my last dollar the the first batch that were ever made in china were perfect and then went down hill after that. That in my experience has been the case when dealing with the chinese quality:mad: