Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fusible Links

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jack orchard, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jack orchard

jack orchard

I want to include fusible links located at the starter solenoid in my rewire of a 1951 F1 Truck. I don't know which one to use because the ones i have seen are not rated in amps; they are classified only by the gauge of the wire they are on. For instance, if 10 Guage wire is good for 30 amps, then i want the link to blow at 30 amps. Would i use a 10 gauge fusible link? How do i know how they rate them? I hope some of you smart guys can splain this to me. Thanks to all of you for your time...jack

2. nummie

nummie

If by fusible link your talking an inline spade fuse or barrel fuse, I have always lived by "you can't have too much copper" since the great car fire of 04 (mgb... Lucas the lord of darkness won that time) go with one step larger wire and fuse it down. If 10ga is good for 30a then fuse it down to 25. I never overwork wire. Engine compartment fires are scary as shit.

3. T Fritz

T Fritz

General rule of thumb is the fuseible link is 2 gauge sizes smaller than the wire it is attached to. 10 gauge wire = 14 gauge link.

Fritz

4. jack orchard

jack orchard

This is the kind of info i need. thanks nummie and T Fritz