Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funny BS in car advertising.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stanislao, Jun 3, 2011.

1. One of my favorites is the Pontiac comparisons series of 1939.
    At the time Pontiac was mounting the headlamps above the fenders, while some manufactures had incorporated them into the fenders and grill. Pontiac claimed that mounting the headlamps above the fenders provided “More protection against flying stones, less vulnerable to bumps, provide longer light path.” Where as Ford and Mercury cars “HAS NOT -- Headlamps in fenders are easily broken or knocked out of focus. Light path is shorter. Frequent Service is required to keep them in proper focus.”

Like I said, BS

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. 36tbird

36tbird

I think in 1940, Ford made a big deal of introducing the wind wing window. Many, many years later as new cars went back to one window in the doors, they made a big deal over that.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the good old days there was no TV so the car companies couldn't just show a "professional driver on a closed course" ripping it up in the newest car.

they had to come up with something

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And this is different than any other form of advertizing ?

And it should bother you so badly what happened in 1939 ?

Someone needs to get a life :D

5. I made a thread on this because I happen to find the BS amusing.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its been so bad back than, it has never stopped since

7. dudley32

dudley32

S.O.S..not much changed..except in the late 60's when they tried to call a 402 a 396 and underestimated horse power to get by insurance regulations..but that didn't last long..

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

I heard GM Overated the hp on it's engines because most weren't capable of moving out of the way of a vauxhaul.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

If thats all you got to bitch about you got to much time on your hands.Maybe a thread with you actualy proving them wrong to their gimmick to sell cars would be interesting.

10. dudley32

dudley32

another big 10/4...

11. Okay, let me make this perfectly clear. This is supposed to be a comedy thread. I am not “bitching” about advertising, I am merely trying to get a laugh or two out of it.

12. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Chevy ran a campaign in the mid 50's touting their front wheel bearings with the wording "Nothing rolls like a ball" and went on about how their ball bearing on the front spindles were the best and blah blah blah.

This was done to try and nip in the bud the reputation GM cars had for failures of their front wheel bearings. This was in fact a well deserved reputation because the 800 lb. gorilla GM did not want to pay Timken (I believe) for the rights to use the tapered roller bearings that Timken had developed and that were being used by just about everyone else in the industry.

In fact a ball bearing is a great bearing for the front of a car...as long as that same car does not turn it's wheels. They have no tolerance for side loads like the taper bearings.

With little fanfare GM quietly paid the piper and began using tapered front wheel bearings by the latter part of the 50's.

13. not an old one but a couple of years ago holden (GM australia) were going to sell a "facelifted" vesion of the commodore over in the states under the pontiac name. when pontiac went bust they were left with all these frontends that they couldnt sell so all of a sudden we had all of the holden dealerships selling the "special edition" commodore SV6 with the pontiac frontends on them:rolleyes:

14. Deuces

Deuces

Was it the new G.T.O.???

15. The Holden Commodore was imported as the G8 and is presently being imported as the Chevrolet Caprice, for police sales only. I shall not discus the Holden Monaro blasphemy.

16. My favorite one today is from Lexus...it goes sumpin' like this:

' We're so concerned with your safety that we go to the trouble of gold-plating the connectors on our airbags for corrosion resistance'.

Uh-huh...every airbag connector today is gold-plated...it's an industry standard and besides, only a handful of companies make airbags anyway...Takata, TRW, Autoliv...

17. Sort of not safe for work:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QDFeIPwrDrs" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

18. johnboy13

johnboy13

Uptight much???

19. Rolf

Rolf

Some of you guys need to lighten up a bit!

I enjoy reading old ads and the incredible claims that was sometimes made.

This is from a 1967 Volvo brochure:

[​IMG]

Yup, no wonder nerds, slide rulers and other pocket protector guys were lining up in the Volvo showrooms to buy a car that had been caressed by pretty Swedish girls!!

20. Muttley

Muttley

Chevy continued to use the 396 badge because it was already an established "brand" not to underestimate the horse power numbers. Its only six cubic inches, that wouldnt have made much difference in the insurance companys eyes.

21. I... I want to be a Volvo in the factory in 1967!

22. metalman

metalman

Somewhere I have a VHS tape of old car TV commercials. Loved it, I need to find a way to put it on a disc so I can watch it again. I like how in 1955 Ford was making a big deal about the new wrap around windshield to improve vision and then in 1960 making a big deal about "no more knee knockers" by eleminating the wrap around windshield. Kinda like admitting your mistakes.

23. used to be, gillette advertised the 2 bladed razor so the first blade lifts the whisker and the second cuts it ever so close, now they advertise a "no tug and pull" razor is mo' better.
    yeah, I know, its not a car, but I was tossing a "every industry does it" factoid out thar'

24. Now that's Funny!!! Truth in advertising. :D:D:D