Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Funniest, sorriest, worst thing ever happen while going and picking up a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Dec 23, 2019.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks, Butch!

Bones

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My brother and I were just getting started in our choice for a modified street car for the drags at nearby Lions Dragstrip and as a daily driver to high school. Our friend had a 1934 Ford 5 window coupe with a big Oldsmobile motor. It was one of the fastest street, daily driver cars in our area. A/Gas class trophy winner and daily driver to our high school. That was the goal of our endeavor with the Model A. We wanted a car that would match the Olds powered 34 Coupe, in looks and power.

We all had grown up together and the rivalry in just about everything was still in play during our teenage years. But, back in my mind, since my brother already had a 1951 Oldsmobile 2 door sedan, would the built up Model A be his car for daily driving? Ahhh…the cool 51 Oldsmobile Sedan would then be my first car. Yes!!!
    upload_2020-1-25_3-37-14.png
    We already knew where an old Model A was sitting in a lady’s backyard, covered with a canvas tarp. My friends and I had seen it many times on our walking mornings to our local junior high school. We always tried to guess what was under the canvas tarp, as we had seen another canvas tarp covered car a few blocks away. So, I told my brother about the covered cars and he wanted to go see them immediately.

We drove over in his Oldsmobile sedan and inquired about each one. One was a Model A in fairly good shape, but was not running. The other was a beat up sedan that was running. What a choice. The whole neighborhood was littered with cars that ran and did not run under covers, in the side or back yards of the post war homes.

My brother liked the Model A Coupe that did not run. He knew that it did not make a difference, because we were going to put in a more powerful motor and drive line. So, we went home to gather the stuff to get the Model A home. The cost of the Model A was minimal, as the dock line we bought at a marine surplus yard was more than the actual non-running car.

There was something that made my brother and I find that Model A in the neighbor’s yard back in 1957. I knew my brother wanted a fast coupe to be able to keep up with his friend in the Olds powered 1934 5 window Ford Coupe, so I was the helper in rescuing this Model A from the lady’s backyard field. The cost was minimal and she wanted us to take the coupe that day, so she lowered the cost.

Towing the coupe was done with a big fat, dock line, rope. One thing my brother said after he hooked up the tow line was to keep a safe distance from his 51 Olds sedan. I steered the Model A and to keep it towing nicely for several blocks, my foot was on the brake to keep the line taut. There were a few banging episodes and a bump/dip in the road home that led to another bang. But, we did get it home to start the repairs, first.

Jnaki

I was worried that we would get caught by the local police as I did not have a license as yet. (several years away) I knew how to drive, but we did not care that I did not have a license. We had to get the Model A home. My brother’s excuse, if we were stopped, was that he did not see a… “driver without a license, in a non-running car, in tow, rules section in any driver’s rule book from the DMV. Just to make sure, he made me aware of not screwing up getting into an accident or collision.

I did well in the first two blocks with the line taut. Even after crossing a major intersection, we still rolled along. Finally, I knew there were two intersections before we got to our street that had dips in the roadway. But, we kept moving. The first one was a larger dip on both sides of the crossing road. We handled the first dip well, but the second caused a little panic on my part and a bang in the line was created. The second was a surprise, even though I knew it was right there.

When we came to the last crossing dips, I was ready to impress my brother with two smooth roll overs. The first one was fine, with a tiny slack in the line and a small jerk when straightened. But, the second dip threw me for a loop as we rolled into it and out. It made the biggest bang in the world as I somehow lost the smooth directions given to me by my brother in his talk. (daydreaming of driving the model a at the drags???) After the bang, he pulled over and stopped, as I coasted to a totally slack dock line in front of me. We both thought the bumper had come off or at least it was bent.
    upload_2020-1-25_3-37-53.png
    Westside Long Beach in 1957

When we finally reached our street and house, my brother had enough confidence to allow me to steer up the driveway into the flat area in the front yard. Then, we pushed the Model A into the backyard work space. WHEW!

David Gersic likes this.
  4. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I lived in a small town that had a river through it. (Dewitt, Mich.) The town was maybe 100 ft. higher in elevation than the bridge that goes over the river. On the other side of the river the road went up again about 100 ft. and make a sharp right turn. I parted out a 63 or so Chevy 3/4 ton pick up and a buddy and I were taking it to the salvage yard to get the $15.00 or so. It had no engine, brakes or seat in it. We put a homemade wooden car ramp in it for my buddy to sit on. We hooked it tight to my 68 Impala using the trailer hitch on the car and a chain to the front of the truck. Off we went! No troubles thru town, down the hill, over the bridge, up the hill. But then making the right turn at the top of the hill, we came disconnected! My friend in the truck started to roll down the hill backwards- this could have been real bad as there was other traffic. He thought fast, got out of the truck and jammed the car ramp behind the tire and got the truck stopped. I backed up and we got it reconnected and made it to the auto salvage in north Lansing. Geez amazing what some kids will do for $15.00 in 1972!

Fitty Toomuch and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Best one yet....ROFLMAO!!!

6. David Coleman

David Coleman

Way back there, my brother and I tried drifting a newly purchased 1952 Muntz Jet down a hill, to get it up a ramp and onto our trailer. Its all a matter of when to hit the brakes. We didn't and it did. Still got the car and are going to fix it as soon as we get the chance???

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Cullyflower

Cullyflower

1972 I had delivered a backhoe to a job site and on the way home I stopped at the speed shop. A guy came in and asked if he could put some stuff he had to sell on the bulletin board? I asked him what he was selling and he said a 57 chevy convertible that had a rod knock. He said that he had bought a 396 and a four speed to put in it but it still needed to be put in. He said his girlfriend was pregnant and he had to sell the car as he was getting married. I asked what he wanted for everything and he said he didn't know as he didn't think anyone would buy everything. So I told him do the math and give me the price as I want to buy it all. He came up with a figure that sounded fair so I asked can we go look at it. The only problem was that I was driving the dump truck and trailer and was not sure what kind of room there would be at his house to park. He said that I could park in front of the house so off we went to see the car. It was a nice car 283 four speed so I am buying it. He offers to drive me to the bank and I get the money for him. I loaded the 396 in the dump bed and the 57 on the trailer. I had chains to secure the car but for the 396 all I had was some clothes line. I put it in the front left corner of the dump truck and tied it to the tailgate release lever. On the way home I`m going through a small town and there is a lady standing in the sidewalk looking at her mail. There is a kid riding a bike down the sidewalk towards the lady. As he is getting closer I am wondering what he is going to do to not hit her. What he does is make a left and come over the curb into the street as he does he flips the bike and flies into the street. I slam on the brakes and swerve hoping not to hit him. I hear the 396 sliding in the dump bed and it hits the right side with a bang. I get out of the truck and the kid has a broken arm with the bone through the skin. I look and see the lady laying on the sidewalk not sure what has happened to her. Looking at the truck the broke and when the 396 slid across the bed and hit it broke a three foot section out of the 2 x 10 on the dump bed. The piece of wood and the water pump broke off and both went flying at the lady standing there. One of these pieces came so close that it ripped her sweater as it went by. She passed out. So someone called the cops and for the ambulance. When the cop came he asked who is driving the dump truck? I said I was and he says he is going to handcuff me. I asked why and he said that the caller said that I had ran down the kid and the lady and they had seen it all. The lady is telling him that is not what happened and I am telling him that is not what happened. So the cop gives me a ticket for loose,leaking, or shifting load.

Boneyard51 and Old wolf like this.