Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funding your addiction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dubie, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dubie

dubie

It's interesting to see how many people are working more than 1 job. While others are content to sit on the couch all night and schedule it around tv shows, everyone else here is putting in time at job #2 or even job #3. People always say to me " I wish I had a fraction of your energy" But it's not energy I have in excess, is being goal driven. I've always been the personality to go after what I want and so far it's paid off for me. It seems everyone here shares that common link.

2. Ahole

Ahole

A friend of mine told me about Dave Ramesy's 'FPU" and told me how it changed his life and is retiring early because of it...we are starting our class next month :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

I pimp attorneys!
    Most of my money I wasted on fast cars and faster women.
    The rest I wasted!

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

alot of OT till I hurt my shoulder now waiting to get back to more OT.....yea!

5. 55willys

55willys

I work on hot rods all day so I can build mine at night. I work in a hot rod shop and do side jobs all the time sometimes 60 hr. weeks then I stay up late and work on hot rods for fun. Am I crazy? Some would say yes

6. trollst

trollst

I'm retired now, all my life I saw valuable shit no one else saw and traded or sold to fund my passion, now I work on the side and all of it goes to my garage. I finally can afford to fund my hobby out of my income, but after years of scrimping. I still prefer to run my shop off side money. Funny how fifty years of scraping by will affect your thinking about spending money.
    Thing is....my cars are mine, never borrowed a dime for them, I paid in sweat equity, the best kind.

7. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

All my paychecks are direct deposit...40 hrs a week goes to the checking account for house hold use...all over time goes to the savings account...i have to agree with not using credit cards...i have 3 right now
    (medical bills mostly) i am working on paying off...18 more months and it will free up about a grand a month....

8. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I have done work on the side but at times I feel that it only gives you a short term gain but no long term benefit. If you focus on improving your skillset in your primary career that gain will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. I'm a gigging musician, plus I get a pension, all on top of my salaried day job.

10. If you stick with a career that takes skill and talent. Sooner or later people will pay good money for these traits that you have. I am lucky enough that my full time job pays for my wife and I and once in a while pay for my hobbies. My other income comes from sidework remodeling and working on cars. I'm never short on money lately, just time!!!!! Nouse was paid off in 2003 and have no debt. Just insurance on my 11 cars, house, health, garage and barn. Insurance is why I have to keep working!!!
    I also buy and sell on Ebay!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  11. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

I posted something similar on the thread HRP listed. I also have no debt, and the car has it's own budget, separate from the household budget.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

12. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

I live in a single wide mobile on two acres, my house payment is less than my last new truck payment. Everything else is payed for.

It helps to have a credit score under a 100, ya can't buy stupid shit on credit, they won't give you a card, and no identity theft.

The wife and I are both on SSD for bad health problems and that money runs life. I'm working on casting gold rings for some rod money, the first will be the nose of my 64 Fairlane. Sell some parts to buy other parts.

The most important thing is to keep your Gearhead money cash and separate. If it's in the check book it will get absorbed. I sold a Harley once and never saw a Dime of the $10k. My wife wants to get some yappy lap dog which for shots, gettin fixed, trainin school, and the re-homing fee would eat up the grand in my tire fund. Don't get me wrong she gets what she wants like nails, hair, clothes, jewelry, etc from the general fund. I ain't gettin the dog though.

Don

13. edweird

edweird

i owe for my house and utilities . other than that, i'm outta debt.AND I'M STILL BROKE!

14. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I hear that.....I have two young kids in Daycare. Costs me more than my mortgage every month (1,700 bucks)!! I have no money for my projects, let alone time to do anything. Im always at work and always on-call. I sell things on e-bay, not just car parts. I find things that will sell, and pick them up at goodwill, or second hand stores. If you do some research you can make money selling the strangest things.

15. neverwinter

neverwinter

find a friend that spends worse than you do - then use him as the benchmark when the wife gets pissed!

i have a buddy who spent 45k (financed for 6 years) on a 2012 mustang GT and then another 13k in cash to pimp it out. then went and leased a 2013 civic as his winter car. i just shook my head.

but i cant throw stones. i have to sell my 63 c10 to pay off the parts i bought for the 41. wish i had millions in disposable income but i dont. and in a way its kinda fun to parts hunt on a budget, go to swaps, sell this to buy that etc. my prob is i buy before selling lol!

16. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Work Harder and Smarter= more $$$;)

17. I steal money from my wife's purse.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I worked as much O.T. as I could get on my job. I was banking $2K a month.

19. Ha Ha! That's funny! I never seen anyone refer to Evil Bay as "That auction site". :D

As far as my answer to this thread.... Swap Meets!

I buy and collect stuff I don't need and sell at Swap Meets, forums (like the H.A.M.B.) and on Craigslist. Most of the time it works out well.

The price of the cars may fluctuate but the price of parts always goes up. ;)

20. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Having they wife bail on me a few months ago has freed up a wee bit of cash in the short term. My son is pushing me to get a project, so maybe this is the year, once all the paperwork is signed and if I'm not left wearing a barrel. A wooden barrel, that's more traditional. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Just shy of 800 hrs of OT last year......nothing done on the hot rod though!!

22. Confucius say:

When you have time, you don't have money.... When you have money, you don't have time! ;)

23. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I was needed some cast Cluch covers for two old Taco mini bikes I was restoring and could not find any, I got a friend to lend me one and took it to a foundry in town it was like pulling hens teeth to get them to cast me 20 parts... So I purchased a oven a muller and some petrobond and taught myself how to cast, I already had a building for my toys and so I set up a foundry for small production runs. Thats been a few years now and it funds the toys just fine, I make vintake kart parts mini bike stuff and some hot rod parts I have alot of fun doing it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. luggnutz3000

luggnutz3000

I'm lucky enough to have a job that affords just about anything, except time. 60-110 hrs a week... 4 weeks working out of state, 2 weeks home... Super tough on the family, but the house is about paid off, cars paid off, 1 year savings reserve.... It's no joke that working your tail off pays. But it takes months to get any work done on the truck...

25. Ahole

Ahole

Wow that is a killer build!!! Did you take the Dave Ramsey course?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I worked with a young guy who lived in an abandoned barn loft and ate dog food so he could afford to race.

27. Veach

Veach

Looks like the answer is Work (I have been working in a prison the last 23 years ) To bad a lot more people don't do it

28. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

I try to save the money then get the piece. It works so far.

29. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

I love the hunt of finding cool old stuff. Selling it and finding more. 2 years ago I started the Hub Society for passing on the secrets related to automotive Industrial arts. Never been so poor never cared less.