Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funding your addiction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dubie, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dubie

dubie

How does everyone fund raise to feed the addiction? I have a sideline business of doing airbrush work on damn near object that comes through the door. Once I figure out how much goes back into the business for supplies, the rest goes into the build fund. Gotta feed one addiction to pay for another. It may take longer to complete my truck, but at least I'm not draining our savings on parts.

2. Mrmowerguy

Mrmowerguy

I repair power equipment on the side. Lawnmowers are my specialty but small 2 stroke powered equipment I can repair also. It's just hard to repair a $80 blower or string trimmer and not charge too much and still make something. If they have a nice $150-$200 Stihl, that's one thing but the 5 year old McCulloch you buy at Home Depot is a throw away. I scrounge up all the OT I can at work too. I'm working 40 hours of OT between Christmas and New Years including a double shift today. Amazing people want a 4 day weekend for the New Years holiday. Show me the money!!

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

work harder,do more overtime,take more call,stash more money away and dont use credit cards.

4. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

X2 on the credit cards.

Also hombres ruin your quote is one of my all time favorite.

5. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Take note of all the opportunities you come across, just because its not relevant to your truck don't ignore it. Buy,sell, and trade other makes and models to make a few extra bucks. It does seem at times I spend more time dealing with other stuff than Chevy trucks but it will pay off. Spend a little more and buy a whole truck take the door you need sell the rest.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

"That auction site", I opened a store there to list things at a lower rate, There is a buyer for everything if you price it right. Free Table stuff at the dump is prue profit. I'm starting at one corner of the garage, basement and attic and blowing out everything I don't want. Goal is more space and funds for 2013! Happy New Year! Bob

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Perfect quote, credit cards do nothing but cause problems when hard work and common sense are the solution.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. Falfa55

Falfa55

I build farm tables once in awhile and sell them on craigslist and o.t at work..stay the hell away from credit cards and have a whole lot of patience.The money will come sooner of later.also dont let super good deals pass you by even if you dont really need the parts at that time

9. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

Work my ass off. I'm single with no kids too, that helps a whole lot. Although I do use a credit card, but it's only a $500 limit. When that money is used up in gas and parts, I'm done for a little while.

10. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I rebuild Muncies, T-10's, and Toploaders, stripe cars, trucks, bikes or whatever. I also buy and sell parts & cars on egay.

Kinda like has already been said... work harder!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  11. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

A credit card is as good as you are........... after all you control it. I buyand pay all my bills with mine. Totals several thousand a month......and then let them send me one percent just for using it.

So each month I make anywhere from 25-50 bucks a month off of my credit card. Doesn't fund the whole project or actually go towards it at all, but it gets put back into checking.

As far as funding my 56'. So far I have a rolling chassis, and engine. I havent spent a dime. I make smart purchases, that I know I can make money on.

I am now out of money for mine though and have to start spending out of my pocket, have to hide it from my wife LOL.

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Credit cards give you a false sense of security it looks like easy,quick money but it will take a huge bite out of your ass in the long run. Biding your time and earning the money instead of borrowing the money is the only way.

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Not if you don't use them as a "credit" card. I make sure I have money in the checking to back mine up.

I guess people have no self control.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, quite often ordering a part with a credit card and turning right around and paying the credit card out of your bank account is safer than using other means that are directly connected to your account. Maintaining a balance on the card is nuts.

Work schedule hasn't allowed for it in the past few years but I used to haul a load of my extra stuff to swap meets quite often with only enough cash on me to pay for my spot at the swap meet and I had to sell enough to buy what I found to put on my project. Swapmeet season next spring everything that I have that isn't designated for an existing project is headed to the swapmeets to finance what I need for the projects and clean the sheds out at the same time.
    I used to work on other people's cars on nights and weekends but quit that a long time ago. Most guys who want you to work on their cars at your house expect to pay less than minimum wage for the same job they would pay several hundred dollars for if you did it in a shop in town.

I've got enough extra pieces to put a 47/53 Chevy pickup together with a 350/350 and Nova rear ed. That will just be a straight forward little truck that runs nice and drives nice and looks pretty decent. That should go a long way towards financing some of the more expensive pieces for my real projects.

15. vintagedream

vintagedream

I build aluminum chassis for guitar amps. I have a website and also sell through ebay. Having the metal fabrication equipment comes in handy when working on cars.

16. I try not using any off my wages unlessi have a good amount left over( kids,yeah ok) but mostly from what i get from my band gigs and selling crap i dont need any more. JW

17. Lucky77

Lucky77

481 Hours of overtime this year. Plus no kids and an understanding girlfiriend help out a ton. I have no idea how guys with families and regular jobs do this?

18. x3 on the credit cards.....they're totally unnecessary and dangerous in the wrong hands. Everybody I know that still uses them ALWAYS swears that they pay them off every month and that they're beating up the credit card company. It's just bull...if that were true, the credit card companies would be bankrupt. Instead, they're raking in the money.

Go take a Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University class at a church near you. It'll change your life. My wife and did, 5 years ago, and we now have zero debt and will own our home outright soon.

The other side benefit is that we allocated a specific amount of money to my car addiction and I get to use it with no strings attached.

Other than that, working overtime or extra jobs is the way to go. When I was teaching high school I worked two extra jobs....one of which was delivering pizza....the other was cleaning a child-care center in the evening after they closed.

19. Tim Rocheford

Tim Rocheford

I'm a drafter, so on the side I draw houses, additions, garages, whatever people want and are willing to pay. That money typically goes into the hot rod fund. I could walk around my first hot rod, point at a part, and name the family who I'd drawn for to buy that item. One house plan got my my roadster body and a full set of tires. I drew a walkout rambler for a guy one time who traded me a 350 and a Saginaw 3 speed.

20. Easy solution to this.

I have two bank accounts with the same bank....both have their own unique debit card.

One account is where all my "regular" money sits. The other sits with a $1 balance until I want to order something online. I then transfer the money over to the empty account, make my purchase and viola...the account is empty again.

If anyone ever got a hold of that account number nefariously, it wouldn't matter...there's no money in it.

21. txturbo

txturbo

I have a side business rebuilding late model instrument clusters. So far its paid for my whole 55 Chevy truck project.

22. GREASER815

GREASER815

23. Money from my day job goes for family and household expenses. Money from shift knobs and music goes to feed the project...unless we need it for household expenses.

24. fsae0607

fsae0607

I usually wait until the mid-month paycheck for major purchases, since the first of the month goes to mortgage.

I try to also do side jobs, quick jobs I can do in a day e.g. oil changes, tune-ups, brake jobs etc.

25. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yup x2

26. Most guys I know cry about never having any money. But they are always pissing it away on booze,cigarettes,eating out and always getting the latest tech gadget. Most people have enough but just spend it on stupid junk that companies tell us we need. Just step back and take a good look at what you are buying and ask yourself do you need it or just want it? Odds are you can cut a lot of spending on stuff you don't need. Like buying a 60" flatscreen when you just bought a 50" one 2 years ago.

27. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Side work of building and repairing and restoring older cars. Also buy and sell cars and swap meets. Actually need to get my ass in gear and load the trailer for next weekends swap meet.

28. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do I fund my project????

I run VCYDE Rod & Custom to fund VCYDE Rod & Custom. Does that make sense? I buy and sell parts, build cars and bikes for others, sell stuff on that auction site, etc and funnel it all back into my projects. My wife has no bitch as our regular day jobs don't fund any of my obsession. I am fortunate to be talented and build cars within my means. Don't get me wrong, I would kill for an all steel Willys but its not in the cards right now. Maybe some day, maybe.

29. SLLLOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLYYYY!!!!!!! , :) But my family is worth more than all of my projects combined to me ..... would love to drop a shit load of dead presidents into my truck , but ........ well hell,what am I telling you guys for most of you know what I mean lol :D:rolleyes: