Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuller Brizio Volks T topic continued

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bugnbox, Dec 4, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I just can't let this one go. Yes, some of these cars were Porsche powered. The post '57 356 engine and the 912 were very similar to Volks stuff, and did fairly readily interchange. These days though it's many, many, times cheaper and easier to get many times the H.P. out of a VW engine than a Porsche.

As far as running a VW with out cooling tin and just a bigger oil cooler, Not if you want stuff to last very long! It's common practice on drag cars running alcohol and such, but with a cooling stream of air over the cylinders and such, you'll have a bunch of junk very quickly in your street car.

Mike Britton mentioned something that does bare some very close though and merit. Lots of non-VW types think of the type one engine as being "the" VW engine, in truth, the little wagons or typeIII has the same basic long block with lots flatter cooling and sheet metal. I f I was building a Volks Rod personally, that's exactly what I would shoot for! The type three stuff adds a bit of length, but takes away a ton of vertical height that is rather hard to package and proportion.

Dre Racer's customer car if I remember correctly was mid engine. A fairly easy trick to pull off with VW stuff by flipping the ring and pinion in the transaxle to allow reversing it's position in the chassis.

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Yes , the chassie was a mid engine layout and a swing axle trans with the ring gear flopped. Motor was just your standard type 1 with its uprite fan shroud and one would pull the seat back to get to the engine.

Add about 6" to a VW engine for the type 3 fan and shroud package

3. I always liked that Brizio T. I bet it sure would be fun to drive. That Kent Fuller T is a nice looking car too.

4. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

I'm very famillar to VW's as I've owned 3 back in the '70's/'80's, fun and easy cars to work on and would be a blast as a street rod.

5. luckystiff

luckystiff

type3 engines are only marginally longer/deeper however you want to label them if you consider the full tins on a type1(bug).....

I have a 67 squareback with a 2021cc stroker. I can tell you the same in one of these little volks t's would be FUN. Hell it's pretty damn fun in my much heavier square...ken....

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...I think thats about the most comfortable looking T bodied car I've ever seen!
    I like it a lot!

7. OK,
    Ponder this. If you can flip a VW engine around and make it "mid engined", how about putting it in a T tub? Does anyone make a T touring body?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think Poli-Form still makes their '27 "tubster".

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Then you will have the shift cone sticking out the back along with the linkage, The deck on he 27 allowed 99% coverage and we made a bumper to cover the rest

10. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386905159.052508.jpg

Wait until you see the video of ol Gary here seeing his ride for the first time in 32 years...I swear there was a tear in his eye!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386905386.981790.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386905415.550254.jpg

12. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386905461.915826.jpg

13. I have an acquaintance that claims he can get 200 HP out of a streetable VW engine. How full of Sh#t is he?
    Never been around any but bone stock engines.

14. customcory

customcory

15. luckystiff

luckystiff

not full of shit at all. my 2021 is probably 125+ and is a fairly mild build meant for daily driving. and gets 25-30mpg no problem.

most people look at 100-150hp and laughable but you have to consider these cars can keep up with traffic and everything just fine with less than 50hp stock. 125+ on these things and it's like a big beast of a stroker in an American car. fastest one I've ever driven was a 55 oval with a 2332cc that dyno'd 172hp at the wheels. it was stupid fast...ken....

16. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

on my A-H sprite, stock 948/1098/1275cc was 45 HP, dyno sheet on my 1380cc sez 113HP @ 6500 and that's a street motor, race motor go to 120/130 @ 8000. now back to V-Rods i'd love one

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not even remotely close to full of anything! That and more are pretty common numbers out of heavily tweaked naturally aspirated stuff.
    My last "street bug" topped that with the giggle juice shut off... It took a special kind of stupid to drive it as a daily, but that is a power I am known to poses. Hang that in a gutted car that weighs as much as your afternoon's mail and good times come quickly. I never quite got why the guys east of here never picked up on the go fast VW thing, but kinda great full they didn't, 'cause with the tech schools here in town, there was always a new supply of fresh meat that would put up good money to get annihilated by a "dumb little old VW". Paid my mortgage for the first few years back in the day.

Now, to pull this a little more on topic, if anybody is asking an opinion I would default to a rather sedate 1641 or say 1776 type engine in a Volksrod situation. I would set this up more for longevity that H.P. with a full balance, good breathing but very basic heads, a simple 110 type cam, and dual 40mm Webers. As light as a Volksrod is, anything more really wouldn't be needed, and the hotter you make these things, the shorter the fuse.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  18. rick finch

rick finch

Remember this image? My son & I were at a local cruise night in San Jose back in the late 90's...this was there, intact (needed freshening up) and for sale. I seem to recall for about $3500 (!) yes, I kick myself in the ass for not buying it...:mad:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Might be a bit safer to stick to discussing the car than the powerplant guys!
    You know how things can get and we want this to be an ongoing thread!!!

20. pitman

pitman

The drawing is great!
    4130 moly X .09 wall tube

21. hemi

hemi

22. hemi

hemi

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

But, it's STILL a VW. No matter how fast or quick it is, it's STILL a VW. May as well be talking about Hondas or Toyotas. Most guys are just hard wired that way.

My brother-in-law has some crazy fast Subaru WRX (?). Which is cool, but in the end, it's a Subaru. It just that simple. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

These cars have Kent Fuller history, souped up 4 cylinders, Hot Rod influence, some Road Race, some sandrail, etc.

Those are all things that I'm really into.

I should really like them.

But this particular blend of those things doesn't don't do a thing for me...

25. hemi

hemi

Yeah, I like looking at them, and I've even driven one... and I own a couple of VWs right now... but I wouldn't want one. I do think the original one is being reunited with a previous owner is neat. I'd love to visit some of my old stuff that's lost in the sands of time...

26. A Boner

A Boner

Looks like a fun build project to me.

27. except for Andy's , i'm seeing a lack of front brakes

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Without veering any further off the subject, there really is no way to convince you! Suffice to say that out here in the southwest and over in California in particular, drag racing VWs has about a fifty year history, and a lot of the same respect level that our hot rods carry. Not at analogues to the Subaru hot hatch kinda stuff of today in any way shape or form, period. To this day in Phoenix or L.A. if I hear that solid, unmistakable bass VWOOOP of a big dual carb air cooled being revved, it'll stop me in my tracks.

You'll also note that the guys in the series of articles that have been reprinted here are no less some of the most talented hot rodders of the sixties... If all that doesn't get you, consider that back twenty two years ago my street car daily driver as driven to and from work everyday easily clicked off 12.30s all day with the big blue bottle shut off. Saturday night mode saw it with a pair of slicks on widened stock wheels and a full bottle of giggle juice, and lots of other Camaro and Mustang owner's pay checks in my pockets.

I'll stop defending now and let this thread take it's course. Just please don't lump this stuff in with hot hatch kinda stuff....

29. rick finch

rick finch

^^^Well said...they're not for everybody, but they DO have place in our history.:)

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Louvers, I agree with ALL that. Some GREAT guys built them and that's cool. But they are NOT for everyone. No, you'll never convince me how cool they could be. For the same reason I don't care about Hondas and Toyotas.

If Don GARLETS built one that made 1,000HP, I wouldn't want to read about it. Maybe it IS a West Coast thing. No problem. But there's GOT to be a reason the fad stayed there and didn't spread like conventional hot rodding did.

I've met some tuners and seen how sweet their stuff can be and I still don't care for it and never will. And it's VERY easy to dump this stuff with the "hot hatch" stuff. The hatch just happens to be on the wrong end. Every great thing has a period, when it got kinda stupid for a few years. The Volksrods were that period for American hot rods.