Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Full White Paint Jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SFO, Aug 5, 2014.

1. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

Hey everybody,
    I'm looking to paint my '54 Bel Air HT, and have decided on going with white for the primary color. Looking to go either satin or gloss, brighter white color, not ivory etc. I want to run some time of topcoat for maintenance etc. No primer or single flat. I've always liked the look of chrome on white. Also, Im rolling with shaved handles and shaved side mouldings. Has anyone seen a white metal flake/pearl top on a white body car?

It's hard finding pictures of fully white paint jobs, most searches yield white wall paint threads and pictures of cars with white tops only. Did a dirty photo mod on Moonglow for a quick idea, so its closer to what I'd be doing. Please dont be angry, it's just for reference :)

If anyone could post some rides in satin and gloss white it'd be appreciated!

Thanks guys - SFO White.jpg

2. From a personal prospective white just doesn't look right on early cars,there are very few that have pulled it of successfully.

Some come off looking like a big refrigerator laying on it's side,,JMHO.... HRP

rockable and Jeff K. like this.
  3. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

Looking for pics, color choice is exactly that...my choice :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

when I was a kid in high school (50s) a guy in town totally dechromed a 1957 Pontiac two door hardtop and painted it ice box white. Sat level and low. Bear in mind that was almost a new car, maybe 1-2 years old and as a budding gearhead that was striking to me! all it needed was some restrained pinstriping on hood and trunk. Each to their own,SFO.

5. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

IMG_0994.JPG Mine is pearl white and I'm happy with it. 20140620_180628.jpeg

6. [​IMG]
    Not the same style car or anything, but white cars are awesome.

7. flthd31

flthd31

Go for it. Your car, your choice...totally get it. Here's a few.
    Also check out "1999 Cadillac Eldorado White Diamond " ...one of my favorites. You really have to see it in person to appreciate it.

chevy.jpg lincoln 39.jpg merc.jpg

8. Guys used to run their cars in white primer before paint and I personally think it looked great. Some of these are cars in white primer and I know you are not looking for primer but it gives you an idea of white custom.
    FowlerSide02FB-vi.jpg ill_ChuckCampbellChevyBarris01-vi.jpg P3280056-vi.jpg Quesnelwhiteprimer-1-vi.jpg

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

DSCN6473.jpg Absolutely nothing wrong with white on the body, besides, nearly ANY color interior will work with it...!!! My good friend's '56 Caddy...

R-

10. There's 100 or more different shades of white too. Friend of mine painted a 69 barracuda a bright white and it hurts your eyes to look at it out side in the sun. It actually has a blue tinge to it next to his white 2013 ram truck.

Most chrome has a blue tinge to it also, white chrome and gold go really well together.

11. I like white... IMG_8886.jpg

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  12. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

It's ermine white single stage it's a older GM color. Like all paint the lighting makes it look different fluorescent lights give it a ivory look. Ron

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, lots of shades/tints of white - just like black. do a lot of looking before laying down paint.

14. SFO

SFO
    from Novato, CA

Thanks - these are great guys, keep em coming!

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

my 'ol 63 merc, sickkens autocryl 00 white, straight out of the can, brightest white I ever laid eyes on.

[​IMG]

16. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I have a white 76 F-250 long bed and thats a LOT of white, I wish I would have gone with another color on it.
    My 58 Fairlane hardtop is also white and I love it . I think the big window openings and the curves of the car work well with white. I think interior color is more critical on a white car than most other paint colors. My pick up has a tan interior....boring is the word that comes to mind when I hop in it. I'm leaning towards a red/ white or all red interior for the Fairlane.

17. papajohn

papajohn

I personally like white, but as stated, there is white and there is white. Extremely bright white looks right on some cars, but sometimes that "colonial" white, kind of yellowy-beige white that Ford used a lot looks good too.

I am also intrigued by satin white, but it seems like it would be a real pain to keep clean. Anyone have real world experience with satin white?

18. toml24

toml24

White is a great car color. If you want the absolute whitest white, DayGlo type white, look at the OT Jaguar XJ6 from the 1980's/'90's. The white from those cars is without a doubt the whitest/gloss-reflective color I've ever seen on a car, and it looks real good.

19. I've painted a bunch of cars white and loved every one. If you go for a "hurt your eyes" white look at a DuPont color that came on late 80's Celica Supra's called "Super White 2", it has a Safire blue in it and really shines. With the curves on your Chevy you might also like the look of the more sophisticated Cadillac "Champagne White" from the early 90's. It looks very nice with lots of chrome. Sorry for no samples but I'm not a Photoshop guy.

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I like all white cars and if you get bored, you can always paint the roof a different color.

21. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

What grill are you using? Looks great! (Sorry for the hijack, back to white paint jobs now)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

23. I love a nicely done white Kustom. It can be a nice contrast between the chrome and white body. White....like black isn't always black and white. Satin white.....hard to keep clean and the shine of white looks better. We used to call bright white refrigerator white for some reason. Please don't leave those black rims exposed...get some nice hubcaps or chrome reverse wheels

24. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

1936 International cut 7.5"

bengeltiger likes this.
  25. If you have a white car your gaps need to be perfect or they stick out like a sore thumb!

26. I agree. Flat white just doesn't do anything for most cars. Gloss white can look amazing on the right car. Surprised no one has posted a pic of Bolander's Impala from American Graffiti yet. One of my favorite cars I have owned was an O/T '77 Chrysler New Yorker, refrigerator white with a white vinyl top (and green velour interior....). Looked simply amazing in white, never saw a different color on the car that I liked.

27. txturbo

txturbo

My 57 Belair I had in high school was all Ermine white. If you go with BC/CC you can just use the base white and then add pearl, flakes or whatever to the clear.

28. belair

belair

White is a great color. Ditto on the gaps.

29. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

White cars can look great, especially with the right interior color; I have two. I'm partial to solid white, solid colorful interior color. If the interior is too beige and boring it can start looking like a rental car. There are a couple of pearl whites from the 90's and early 2ks that would look really good on a '60s style custom. Lexus and Cadillac come to mind. White cars can be hard to photograph well because they can wash out if the lighting isn't right.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014