Register now to get rid of these ads!

full fendered 30 A on 32 chassis? Been done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Dec 4, 2012.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I am a newbie when it comes to model A's. I have built fat fenders and a 56 ford truck, but no experience with the A's.

I recently bought a 30 2dr sedan. It is on a stock frame with all the stock stuff, engine, trans, etc. It does run and stop, I am going to remove the body and then sell the running chassis.

My first reaction to seeing a bare 32 chassis and a bare 30 chassis is the extra room the 32 affords. I have seen in my searches that a model A highboy on 32 chassis is done all the time. My question is that I would like to keep it full fendered. Can it be done and look right? I don't have the skills to channel the tudor so it would sit on the chassis's top railing. Would a Z on chassis help with the look and lower the car?

I hope these questions don't cause a bedlum of hysterics on someones part, just want to get a plan going.

Thanks, Gary

2. Bull

Bull

Why? If your plan is to go full fendered, keep the A on the A chassis.

3. It's been done but it takes a lot of fitting and fabrication you will most likely have to use '32 Front fenders and running boards along with the '32 frame.

Nothing wrong with a full fendered Model A. HRP

4. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Stretched fenders,stretched hood, splash aprons, the list goes on and on due to increased wheelbase of the '32 frame.....

5. oldolds

oldolds

Use a model A frame. Why would you want to hide the pretty 32 frame with fenders. Just cut up the A frame where you need to.

6. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

^^^^^^ what they said

7. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

okay, sounds like the consensus is using a model a chassis. Thanks

8. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

It's pretty much all been said already ... but here's my version of what others have already touched on. First of all, the `32 chassis is 3" longer than a Model A -- that's good in some respects -- it means a bit more room as you noted -- but it means that Model A hood, fenders, splash aprons, etc., aren't going to fit. That will either necessitate modifying (lengthening) them, or replacing them with pricier `32 units that are gonna require some modification of their own to work with the Model A body. While it certainly can be done ... it's gonna involve a bunch of work and a bunch of expense. Is that really what you want?

Secondly, the coolest part of the `32 chassis is the reveal in the side rails. With a full-fendered Model A, that would wind up being covered by the splash apron so the coolness ls lost.

Finally there's the kickup in the rear of the `32 chassis which becomes an issue for a flat-bottomed Model A body. More work, more expense... And there's lots more little stuff but hopefully you're seeing some of the difficulties (most of which don't apply to a hiboy styled build). I've only elaborated on some ideas that others have already pointed to. If you're a full-fendered kinda guy ... and I L-O-V-E a full-fendered Model A ... then you're much better off to use the Model A frame.

ideathings that may not have been

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

just because the 32 frame has "extra room" doesn't mean you're going to have any inside the car body. There is really no good reason for using a deuce frame under a full-fendered Model A vehicle, and many reasons to avoid all the headaches such a swap would entail.