Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel tank sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingofknights, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kingofknights

kingofknights

where can i buy the sealer other than the internet? autozone, oreilly, napa all say they dont carry it...

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Try some of the vintage vehicle restoration supply venders...Eastwood, Sacramento Vintage, Dennis Carpenter, MAC Motors, etc........ I've never seen it in stock at local parts emporiums.

4TTRUK

3. kingofknights

kingofknights

yeah seems to be only available online

4. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I've purchased the por 15 sealer at my local auto paint supplier.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

5. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Caswell Plating sells a two part epoxy type tank sealer that I've used twice now with great results. I've heard nothing but good about the stuff from others as well.

6. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

I'd think long and hard.. Had to strip that stuff out of my '46 Power Wagon's tank.. It was done by a radiator shop a few years back by the previous owner (receipt ) It was all good for the first few years till the stuff turned into strands of rubber like what you get from a cooked spaghetti squash.. corked the fuel lines solid.. Sounds crazy, but the change in fuel additives and or alcohol is all I can figure to have done this...

7. boutlaw

boutlaw

You might check Aircraft Spruce. They have quality fuel tank sealer, BUT, don't know if its compatible with Corn fuel either.

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

dont do it..

until some one comes out with some new sealer they will all break down with the new fuel.

9. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I would fill it with phosphoric acid and let it sit. Then if it still needs something inside, use gray Master Series. I do not like many of the 'sealers" out there. They can clog.

10. I second the "don't do it". You don't mention what vehicle you have, but if there is a repro available, that is the route to take.

As for someone else mentioning Caswell epoxy being good ... well, it worked great for me ... till the seventh year, then it fell apart inside my tank, clogged my line, etc. Sad thing is, I only sealed my tank as a form of preventing issues (and ended up creating some), the original tank (1938) really didn't need to be sealed at all. Ended up cutting a hole in the top of the tank so I could get my arm in, and proceeded to peel and chip all of the failed crud out of my tank.

I have no intention of ever sealing a tank again ... replacement (either with repro or custom fab) for me from here on in.

11. srs1

srs1

your local motorcycle shop should have it

12. 66panel

66panel

Just used the eastwood stuff this weekend in the tank for my panel. Went on the eastwood web site today out of curiosity and it says may not be compatible with e10-e85 fuels.... fuck. No mention of that in any of the 20 catalogs they send me every month.

13. kingofknights

kingofknights

fuck...well i ordered some por 15 sealer from ebay last night, i have a 53 chevy 210 by the way, theres plenty of repro tanks but i was trying to go the cheapest route. if i do decide to get a new one it will be a poly plastic one for sure

14. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. 50shoe

50shoe

I've had good luck with the hirschauto.com stuff. I've heard it cheaper to get the same thing at your local airfield. just find the mechanics and ask.

16. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i dont recall the brand....wait.ok i took pics,had to go look.eastwood makes an ethanol resistant product.i purchased it through the local body shop.
    was a pain to the studebaker tank,its been sitting for 25 years,the gas dried up to something like rubber. took forever to cure,but i'm in no rush.

17. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

If you have a small airport near you there may be a parts/supplies place there where you can inquire about "fuel tank slushing compound."

I used Fuller O'Brien Paints "slushing compund" purchased at a FOB paint store way back in 76 or 77. I had cut holes in my Model A dash board aka gas tank for gauges as a 17 year old.
    When I redid the car starting in 76 I patched/welded up all the holes via oxy/act, needless to say a low pressure test with a garden hose dumping water on the exterior indicated pin holes all over. I used the above mentioned stuff from FOB as it was $7/qt where as via one of the magazine ads it was $20/qt plus shipping and I needed two quarts. Worked well, as I got the car back on the road in 78, first trip San Diego to Las Vegas, no leaks. Several thousand miles on the car, NSRA nats in St. Paul, 82/85 via Iowa and gasahol but never a leak.

HOWEVER, I put a fuel cell in it two years ago because even though it survived the gasohol and whatever else I encountered in various states it couldn't survive Calif gas. The additives in this crap was eating the compound out of the tank and clogging up my little Holley 600. It completely plugged up the squirters passage in the center of the carb.
    If the car sat more than a week I had to remove and clean the carb inside with acetone and blow it out etc.
    If your in a state where they mandate ethanol or some other mixture I would not use the stuff in the tank, just asking for trouble.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just replaced the tank on a 40 Ford truck full of some silver junk. not sure if it actually sealed the tank or not when they first did it, but it sure caused troubles several years down the road. I figure $250.00 for a tank is money well spent.

I have brand new steel tanks for both my 61 dodge and my 49 Chevy.