Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel System Setup on Ford 302 in a F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Dec 17, 2015.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys, I am getting things together to put my 302 back into the f100. I have a new Quick Fuel 580 carb and I picked up a Fuel supply line from them as well... Now im ready to get fuel to it. I want to run my fuel line in a way that reduces heat soaking the fuel lines.. and I also want to put in a good filter, pump and regulator.
    pump.
    I want to make sure that the carb is never starved for fuel.. this was an issue with my last carb and a factory style mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pump im looking at now is http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-250024-1 which is basically the same thing that Quick fuel recommended http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-30-302 just a little less cash.

regulator.
    its cheap.. and most everyone I talked to about it seems to believe its a good idea to have. .. I know some don't think its necessary.. I know folks who don't run them, and have no real issues. but I have known folks who didn't and did. what the heck. 26 bucks is well worth it if it helps in anyway.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-30-803

filter. -- retiring the old Autozone plastic one... recommendations?
    so this part Im going back and forth on... before the regulator or after.. Summit rep told me to put this on the end of the supply line to the carb which that is a 6an fitting... and would be after the regulator. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220170b Im not against putting it in line of the pump to regulator which is 3/8 or just using a rubber hose kind with clamps.. but it looks less clean.

routing the line..
    So to me having the line go up the drivers side from pump across the intake seems like would lead to some heating of the fuel. I had previously done this with out much issue but I ran rubber hose and it was tied off the surfaces. My thought was to leave the pump and hit the crossmember right under the engine along the front edge and hit the regulator mounted on the fenderwell on passengers side fender and leave that and jump right over to the supply line on carb. <-- filter in there somewhere.
    If the distance isn't an issue would this be ok? or is there a smarter way to do.. and im sure there is.

Thoughts?
    attached a couple pics... I was test fitting the air cleaner i'm about to restore to make look more vintage looking..the rest of the engine has been cleaned, resealed, and painted. You can also the cross member location relative to engine mounting. 20151215_174157.jpg 20151202_172751.jpg 20151101_192231.jpg .

2. Well to run your fuel line you have two basic options, you can run along the frame rail and up over the front of the engine or you can run up the firewall and feed tour carb from the rear either will work just fine. Heat soaking your fuel line is usually a 6 cylinder thing anyway.

I am not familiar with the pumps and regulators that you are considering running, you do want to get your pump close to the fuel tank and have a filter between the pump and the tank, I usually run a canister filter, I like the Fram but there are as many choices out there as you can imagine. I will tell you thins I have used Summit Branded parts in the past with good success.

Position your regulator as close to the carb as possible and get yourself a good gauge so that you are actually supplying the carb with the pressure that you have chosen.

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I had thought about running a canister style before the pump.. but had read that was a bad idea on mechanical pumps. I've got the perfect spot for one when the hard line comes up from the tank on the cross member. What I have read is the mechanical pumps do not like pulling through a filter and prefer to push through one. I've seen brackets that mount the fuel regulators out next to the feed lines.. and line going from each side of the reg. to the bowls. i've already got the feed lines.. so im only going to need one side of the regulator. ( thought about putting a gauge on the opposite side albeit it wouldn't be in line.. but it would tell me what the pressure was leaving the regulator. ) ... I just don't know where it would mount using the supplied bracket. maybe on the front side of the head? You think the fender well would be too far of a stretch?

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I was thinking about going along the front side of the crossmember and up and over to the carb.. seems like it would be about as much effort and length to do the firewall method.. I've seen that done.. it may be something I look at when I get home.. I would have a location to mount the regulator.

5. there are some small fuel pressure gauges that can easily spliced into your fuel line. remember getting last one I bought from a bike shop.