Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel system layout help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Dobolina, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

early 40's ford pickup, mustang tank at the rear of the frame.Want to run the electric pump at the rear. Carbureted motor, 4-7 psi is pleanty of pressure. Any tips suggestions as far as 1. a filter before the pump,2. pump locaton, relative to the tank ( i know below is preferable wondering is even with the tank would be a problem?) Pump will run through a relay at the rear of the truck. Was planning on using a carter in line pump, wondering if anyone had any feedback on this, or opinion on a good, reliable pump to use

2. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Cool and cheap tip...
    Use a two or three prong oil psi sending switch tied to your fuel pump relay. Shuts off fuel pump when no oil psi. Use one of the tabs for your gauge. I use a jegs pump. Cheapy see thru filter between tank and pump. Use some thick rubber between pump and frame to help make quieter.

3. squirrel

squirrel

If there's any way at all to run an engine mounted mechanical pump instead of an electric pump, do it!

4. 4tford

4tford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run the carter and it runs fine. I have the filter before the pump in the rear. I also have the relay in the trunk where the battery is. Mount the pump as close to the tank as possible and lower also, it will operate with less effort.

5. If you are going to run an electric pump be sure to also put a fuel pressure regulator in ahead of the carb. Too much pressure will cause plenty of carb problems.

6. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Squirrel...if i had provision for a mechanical, i would...Short ford timing cover won't allow that.
    4t..what type of filter are you using, an HPG1 or something similar? Close to the tank is not a problem, below is. If i mount the pump on the frame rail, it ends up about mid level of the tank, only has about 18" between the tank outlet & the fuel pump inlet to pull the fuel. You think this could be an issue?

7. my advice:
    1. Carter pumps rule, they are far superior to holleys. I went throug two blue pumps before switching to carter.
    2. Run a regulator! The holley regulator works ok with the carter pump. I've heard alot of good things about mallory.
    3. Run a fuel filter right before the carb and between the pump and the tank. Those cheap clear view filters will work well as a pump pre-filter.
    4. Incorporate a cutoff valve into your system. This will make maintenance and troubleshooting alot easier and will also provide a bit of a theft preventer. I run a 5 buck valve from mcmaster (www.mcmaster.com), item number is 4912K48

8. 4tford

4tford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran the fram cartridge filter easier to change from under the car. Summit sells them or your local fram retailers. As for your mounting it sounds OK since these pump suck so closer to the tank the better they operate. The lower the mounting siphoning helps the pump but you should be OK.

9. Idle Gossip

Idle Gossip

mistadobalina.............mistabobdobalina?

10. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

yep.....

Zilch:D