Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel sending unit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake Sippl, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So I have a '30 5 Window, with a 289 Ford motor.. Problem is I have no fuel sending unit. I am completely clueless on this subject, and I have no idea what type of unit I should be looking for, what I should look for ohm's-wise, and what kind of unit is compatible with this car. (I have the fuel tank in the back under the floor if that helps) I just need some guidance here. Thanks!

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be one of the resident "experts". Just match the gauge to the sending unit, back in the 70's when I was putting together my 38 Chevy with Stewart Warner gauges I wasn't smart enough to even ask the right question so I just asked the parts guy where I bought the gauges which sending unit I needed. I was lucky that the 38 tank accepted the new sending unit:) Guess I was just lucky. Good luck!

3. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So I know I will sound stupid here, but I guess knowing the brand and depth of tank is important here then..

4. what brand is your fuel gauge? the sender needs to match it

5. squirrel

squirrel

The sending unit has to match the gauge, as far as ohms rating. Then it has to fit the tank, which means it needs to be the correct size and bolt pattern to fit the opening. Some tanks require that the sender include the fuel pickup tube, most aftermarket tanks do not. Modern aftermarket tanks are pretty much standard as far as mounting, with a round 5 screw design. The height and travel on most aftermarket senders are adjustable.

so...what guage are you using? get a sender that matches it.

6. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

The brand of gauges I have are Omega Kustoms.

7. so call them or find the website and check what ohm sender it needs, or buy one from them. most can be adjusted for tank depth.

8. blackanblue

blackanblue

For my 52 gmc with original tank behind the seat I bought all new replacement gauges from classic instraments gauge is matched with the sender with is included with the package very adjustable to fit in tank same deal in my 31 chev 5 window.

9. squirrel

squirrel

quick google:

All of Omega gauges feature:
    240-33 Ohm Fuel Sender

That's what you need to know, to get the right sender.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Lot's of good information has been posted on this I see. They are right on with the information as I just went through all this with my gauge & sending unit.

12. Sender types: GM 0-30 OHMS mid 60's and earlier
    GM 0-90 OHMS mid 60's to late 90's
    GM 40-250 ohms late 90's and later
    FORD 73-10 EARLY TO LATE 80'S
    FORD 20-150 OHM LATE 80'S AND LATER
    VDO 10-180 OHM
    STEWART WARNER /SUN/OMEGA 240-33 OHM
    The first number is empty second number full

13. Use an Ohm meter with tank sender removed measure the resistance with float hanging all the way down
    this is the empty value. With float all the way up this is the full value.
    Hope this helps.

14. oj

oj

Like Squirrel said, most aftermarket sending units are adjustable. The arm is a rod with the float on the bent end, the arm length determines travel. I bent a piece of sheet metal into a big square 'C' at the same height as gas tank to mock the depth. I clamp the sending unit to the top of the 'C' so the float travels inside it, ground the sheetmetal to the chassis and run a wire to your gage. Now you can test, you can run your float up and down to see where 'Full' and 'Empty' are and adjust your arm for truest result.
    By doing that you can install the sender with confidence and know you won't have to tear the car back apart if it don't work right. Remember, there is a little village in Cambodia called 'Sending' and everybody gets the sending units from there. Some might not work at all.