Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel sending unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 19, 2019.

  1. Boden
    Joined: Oct 10, 2018
    Posts: 429


    Do I need to get a 12v sending unit when doing a 12v conversion on a car. Or will the original 6v one work fine. By original I mean new but still 6v

    Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.
  2. Been there, done that. If you're running the original 6 volt gauge, the 6 volt sender will work just fine Under 12 volts.
    Boden likes this.
  3. BJR
    Joined: Mar 11, 2005
    Posts: 5,823


    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  4. The fuel level sender is just a variable resistance sender. Your fuel gauge is a calibrated E to F ohmmeter. Just put a voltage reducer on the gauge, the sender is not voltage dependent.

    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
  5. squirrel
    Joined: Sep 23, 2004
    Posts: 43,452


    it depends on the car, eh? They used different systems on different cars.

    Let us know what you're working on. For example, a GM might be happy with a Runtz reducer, a Ford might be happy with a later stock voltage regulator, a Hudson might be happy just using it with 12v.
    54vicky likes this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.