Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel sender unit problem,gauge flickering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whitewallwilly, Feb 29, 2020.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I'm trying to get my fuel gauge to read properly,there maybe other posts that answer my questions,but haven't found any that cover this,

I fitted a new fuel gauge ,its a New Vintage gauge as shown below,this was wired to the Sender that was already mounted in the tank,

The tank is alloy(fabricated)
    The sender is mounted thru the side of the tank about 2/3 of the way up,

When the tank is full ,the gauge reads way past the full mark and the gauge needle flickers really badly from full back to 1/4 full until the tank gets to about 1/2 full,,

when the tank is 1/2 full the needle reads right on the full mark,,the flickering stops ,but obviously the gauge should read at the 1/2 full mark

When the Fuel level is empty, the gauge reads between 1/4 and 1/2 full on the gauge

The sender has 3 wires,
    I'm guessing 1 is earth,1 is power,and a the last possibly low fuel level(which I don't need)

I know you can get different ohms senders ,but someone may be able to tell me exactly which sender ohms range I require

Thanks in advance
    IMG_8500.jpg IMG_8485.jpg

2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the summit website these are 0-90 ohms, 0 ohms empty. Put a ohm meter on your sender and move it through its travel stroke and see what you get. Maybe you might just need to ajust the float arm.

Phil

3. squirrel

squirrel

The sender is not related to the gauge in any way? The sender and gauge need to be from the same car type, or the same company, and be designed to work together.

I suggest you contact the gauge manufacturer, and ask them what sending unit is required to work with the gauge you have. It would probably be difficult to determine what the sender is from, so you could find a matching gauge.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Check the sender, see what it’s doing with a meter. Its range, empty to full, has to match the gauge. Check the specs on the gauge, see what it needs the sender to do.

Probably they don’t match, which is why you’re getting wonky results.

A new sender is one option.

This:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cin-sn34

is another way to solve the problem. It matches any sender to any gauge.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app