Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel Pump Goin' Dry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RednekYoga, Jul 22, 2019.

1. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Hey HAMB Fam,
    I've got a 289 with a new carb and new fuel pump that quits pumping fuel and dies after running a bit. I look and the carb is getting no gas and the fuel pump isn't pushing any fuel out. Once I get the car primed (putting gas in it and cranking it up) it'll run for a bit, but then runs out of gas even with a full tank. I did notice a little hole in the top of my tank. Would this cause the issue?
    Thanks,
    RNY

2. A leak in the Top of your tank won't cause it, no different than the vent in the cap.

3. Look for a loose fitting between tank and pump where it would suck air or a plugged line.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Dirt in your tank.
    Are you running a filter before your pump?

5. if the top of the tank has a rot hole there is probably more unseen rust inside. line may be clogged.

Blues4U likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Fairlane tanks are known to have plenty of rust in them also and can plug your filter quickly. But I second the bad fuel line/hose and filter.

7. squirrel

squirrel

if you disconnect the line going into the pump, does fuel run out of that line? (from the tank). If not, you need to figure out why.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  8. Does your fuel pump have a canaster on the bottom, I had a similar problem with our Falcon.

I took the canister off and I was shocked that the filter was so old and packed with crud it couldn't pump gas, BTW my gas mileage went down because the car ran so much better. HRP

[​IMG]

9. So what was your issue that made you install a New Pump and Carb? Lack of Fuel maybe?

X-cpe likes this.
  10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Check the rubber lines from the suction side of the pump to the tank. A cracked hose will allow it to suck air like a broken drinking straw.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  11. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Yep, clean fuel runs right out of that line.

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

Get a pressure/vacuum gauge and check the pump for output pressure and inlet suction (vacuum). If those are good take the vacuum gauge to the line and at the tank and see if you can generate a vacuum there while cranking the engine. That should eliminate any air leaks in the line. The fact that fuel runs out of the line coming to the pump doesn't eliminate the possibility that you have a delaminated rubber line or or a clogged sock on the fuel pick-up in the tank. Either of those possibilities could be allowing fuel to flow when no suction is being applied and the line being sucked shut when suction is applied by the pump.
    If the pump shows no pressure or vacuum take a small mirror and put it through the pump arm slot and see if the pump eccentric that bolts on the front of the timing gear is there and moving appropriately. As a final check you could hold a dowel or screwdriver against the eccentric while someone turns the engine by hand to see if it moves up and down as it rotates.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Exactly what I was thinking....

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Are you sure there is a fuel pump lobe on the end of your Cam? I know you said it's a 289. I got fooled on a 5.0 motor. It had a block off plate on it and started life as an E.F.I. motor. Was changed over to carb with an electric pump. Pump died and customer wanted a manual pump. Worked fine after I added the cam lobe.
    So what was your initial problem? What made you change these parts?

15. If you want to find out if it's a pump issue or tank issue disconnect the line from tank at the pump. Put fuel in a one gallon can sit it on the ground below the pump and drop a short piece of rubber hose in the can. Prime carb and start the car. If it don't pick up and run you have a pump issue. Just because it's New don't mean it's good. Could also be a big Vacuum loss like from no plug in the hole for power booster line or even a Carb that the base don't fit your manifold right.