Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel filter placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Mar 17, 2013.

1. hey all on my 60 tbird that i recently purchased it wasnt running so a few days ago i decided to drop the gastank just to inspect it, it was completely empty so ifigured while i have it out ill go ahead and clean it out

so i got to thinking just to be carefull when i put it back in with new fuel lines that it might be a good idea to install a filter inline near the tank just to catch any junk i might loosen up and doesnt come out after the cleaning the tank

so now for the question would you install the filter verticly or horizontaly or does it really matter ?

2. Willy301

Willy301

It really would be based on the filter you choose. If you put the standard round filter in with the lines in and out the ends, those usually work better horizontally. If you put the canister style in, like the spin on ones, they can go either way, unless specifically say, but they are usually vertically.

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

There should be a cartridge type fuel filter in the spin on cover under the fuel pump on that car, I think. It can hold a lot of dirt and will work better than an aftermarket inline unit.

I have a 64 Fairlane which kept plugging its inline filter. I realized that the fuel pump had been replaced with one that did not have the integral filter under it, so I put in the correct original style fuel pump with big integral fuel filter. This cured the problem.

I had a very rusty fuel tank at the time and after a couple years it filled the filter housing about 2/3 full, but the car still drove fine as the filter has enough area to still flow even when the bottom 2/3 is completely buried in dirt/rust sediment.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

just go to Pep Boys and get a factory replacement fuel filter (mine has them all on a board to look at), mount it under the car horizontally like most of the factories do. Unless you are like me and love glass sediment bowls, in which case put it on the engine where all can enjoy it's looks.

For all the safety people glass sediment bowls were used for 30 year with no epidemic of fires. I know some of you freak out about the old sediment bowls.

5. NAPA has compact, inexpensive in-line fuel filters w/ 5/16" n' 3/8" hose barbs:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL3012_0335828849

[​IMG]

I recently replaced the fuel sender on my rusty ol' tub n' added an in-line near the tank.

The replacement sender had a 3/8" outlet n' the car had 5/16" lines- I had to add a brass reducer to my current 5/16" fuel line.....

You'll prolly' also notice I'm queer for Otiker clamps.....

6. Every car I own has a inline mechanical fuel pump near the gas tank,,I have always had them on all the hot rods I build and it's funny I have had numerous cars that had them from the factory.

Where did you come up with this idea? HRP

7. greazy john

greazy john

i agree with HRP on this on ...use a inline filter just after the tank , the bigger can type very good...

8. Aceswild

Aceswild

I installed one of the glass filters just before the fuel pump in the engine bay, so I can easily inspect it for debris. It has worked out great for me.

9. Jokester

Jokester

I always had a filter just ahead of the tank....until I had to replace one on the side of the road in the rain. What a pain in the butt. I now place them where I have easier access.

my 2¢

.bjb

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think how far from the carb that the filter is located matters as long as it is between the tank and the carb. I wasted a brand new OT 396 engine because of dirt. It was a restoration so an aftermarket filter was just temporary. I replaced the tank to solve the problem. The factory filter inside the carb was now adequate.

11. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

How does an inline mechanical fuel pump work near the tank???????
    Or did you mean filter?

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

Ditto for me...one near the tank & one up front. I use the sealed metal ones (as shown above in post #5) to avoid any possible breakage, after one of those NHRA hot rod inspection guys said that the generic see-thru cylindrical ones with the metal ends were prone to leaking or breaking after awhile. I think two filters are a good thing if you're running an old restored tank (like my 90 year old one).