Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fuel filler relocation

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FNG, Dec 22, 2017.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

So on my 48 Plymouth custom I've decided to use a Mustang gas tank early series 65-66 for several reason A: the car had no gas tank when I bought it, B: being as I have to remove the trunk floor anyway to make clearance it will be an easy install. My question is regardless of what type of tank you have in your car, stock aftermarket or from another make what have you done with the fuel filler? On the Mustang tank the easy way out is to simply put a cap on top of spout where the filler hose would normally go but I've been told by a friend which makes sense is that if you spill gas your gonna smell it inside the car for a long, long time so keeping the filler outside makes good sense. How have you guys done it?

As always your advice is greatly appreciated

2. ...maybe somethin like this, but the Mustang tank's filler is in the middle towards the rear,...maybe you could turn it sideways...?...those tanks are fairlysquare.
    37 cpe 7-15-15 013.jpg

3. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe look for a different tank that has a filler neck location that is more likely to work in your car?

4. evintho

evintho

How about relocating the filler neck on the tank? Move it over close to where your stock Mopar fuel filler tube is. Then it's just a matter of connecting a fuel filler hose to span the gap. I had the filler neck relocated from the side to the center of my Geo Metro tank in the roadster. Local radiator shop did it for $50.

[​IMG]

FNG likes this.

5. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I think the Mustang is the most practical application, I was just looking for ideas on a filler door or relocation. I have seen where guys take a gas door from a more modern car but I want to keep it as clean as possible so the fenders are off limits

6. squirrel

squirrel

How about some pictures? Showing the back of your car, the height of the trunk floor (which is the top of tank). Let us know if you plan to run a rear bumper, where the license plate is going, will it still have the original trunk handle, etc.

The "clean" look is over rated....

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

My 37 has the filler relocated from the fender to the body, using a door off some random junkyard car that had the right profile to match the body. If you don’t want to go in to the fender, maybe a 70s GM spring loaded license plate setup would work for you?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

FNG likes this.
  8. ...go to Yogi's/Tanks website, they have pics/dimensions on all the different tanks,..I used a poly tank made for a 35-6 Dodge/Plymouth and it fit perfect in the rear of my 37 Chev coupe....(pictured in above post)

9. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

I put a mustang tank in my 51 mercury, I welded up the stock inlet and installed a new one on the side of the tank. Works great and no gas smells. I bought the thirteen gallon and I will be going to the 22 gallon

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd prefer no filler pipes showing on the inside the trunk - it's a cleaner look and you won't be banging on it with luggage or tool boxes - ie keep the down pipe to one side or the other and behind the trunk's interior panels.
    I'd also put the filler cap as far as possible from the exhaust pipe(s) and as high as practical to prevent spillage on turns when full - ie avoid low, center mounted fillers at the back. Don't forget a vent line or vented cap. A back flow flapper valve might also be a good idea, to also prevent spills on turns. Gary

11. j hansen

j hansen

Just do not do it as it is on mine -49 Dodge,the cap is located to high up,difficult to access.
    On the plus side,it looks good on the outside Skärmavbild 2017-12-26 kl. 10.40.59.png Skärmavbild 2017-12-26 kl. 10.42.41.png

FNG and Terrible80 like this.