Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Cell solution?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

Ok.. here's my problem.
    I may have to run a fuel cell in my truck, not saying what it is as its not HAMB friendly, but I have a couple issues with this.

I am rather far from speed shops or machine shops or crap like that.
    I've been browsing Summit racing, most there decent sized fuel cells are a couple hundred dollars. Also since I'm in Canada, shipping will probably be a bitch.
    Is there any cheaper, safe solution? I know about the marine fuel cells that are plastic, we've used some at work, on equipment, but then again the equipment we have is not road going equipment, its airport equipment such as baggage handlers and pushback tractors.
    I'm worried if God forbid I get into an accident, the plastic tank would split open and spill gas all over the freakin place....

2. R Pope

R Pope

There are speed shops in Cowtown and Edmonchuck that sell fuel cells.

3. tdoty

tdoty

Build a steel can to go around the fuel cell. You can weld, right? Simple project in 16 or 18ga sheet. Of course, if you're so inclined, you could always just build a tank...............................

Tim D.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. rodknocker

rodknocker

use a '66 mustang gas tank, you can get them off of ebay for around $100 shipped with the sending unit.This is what I did in my shoebox.Its a nice setup because the tank just sits down into a frame thats around 22"X29".Here's a pic of mine, I know you're putting it in a truck,but maybe you can make it work. good luck.My tank is even made in Canada

Attached Files:

• gas.jpg
      gas.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:

5. Gearstix

Gearstix

I was thinking of doing this, however I am not sure how the gas gauge would work.
    I can run an aftermarket gauge if I have to. I just don't understand how that stuff works.

Yes I can weld. Good Idea.

I'm not sure about making a tank. I'm not sure how I'd put in a sending unit.. etc etc.

The mustang tank will fit in between my frame rails..

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

The gauge is really simlpe, it will be the same setup as and aftermarket gauge, all it does is send a resistance measurement to the gauge itself.As the float arm makes its sweep the resistance changes giving you your gas level on your gauge.Its a 1 wire hookup.

7. Gearstix

Gearstix

Ok cool.
    If I put a SBC in my truck I will probably end up making a custom cluster, thinking about going with mechanical gauges, all of them.
    I was gunna buy them from Dolphin gauges as I don't want to spend a crapload on aftermarket gauges, plus I like how the Dolphin gauges look, and there price point.

I'll see what I can find in regards to the stang gas tank.

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I would not worry about using a plastic gas tank.
    Most "fuel cells" are plastic gas tanks with sheet metal cans !
    GM ,Chry, etc. have been using plastic gas tanks for decades without trouble. And the best reason for going with plastic IS...NO RUST EVER !
    I installed a plastic Tanks INC. Tank in a 39 chevy sedan..looks great, fits great and added 2.5 gallons to the capacity..
    Highly recomended !
    Dave

9. PoPo

PoPo

check out my album for my 49. I have a plastic cell from Summit. Got it from ebay for $159 plus shipping. All I did was add the foam and tighten the fittings (they leaked) and bend some straps. Works like charm and If it breaks from a wreck then I have more to worry about than the gas tank braking. My truck is wrecked.!!!

10. Gearstix

Gearstix

The boat fuel cells I can get here aren't overly big. I would like something the same size or larger than the stock tank, although I don't know how big it is, I'm sure I can find out though.
    That mustang tank I've seen installed into trucks like mine.. Plus the one I emailed about on eBay was stainless steel, had all the crap with it for around $100....

I'm just not sure what I'd do for the filler neck on the mustang tank. Could put it in the bed floor but then I have to take the tailgate down and stuff...
    I may move the fuel filler from the front of the fenderwell to behind it... then it'd be eaiser to run the filler to it.
    I may just put it in the bedfloor. We'll see what develops.

I've never extended any of the fuel lines or anything before. Hopefully its straightforward. I've never had the bed off, but I'll have to.
    I know it has an evap canister on the rear of the frame.