Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel cell install/"hooking up"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 14, 2013.

1. el_bole

el_bole

Ok gents(and ladies if any),

I got this fuel cell through a trade I did awhile ago so it came with no model # or instructions.....Its very similiar to this one at summit(link)...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-291220-s

Ans Yes i've done searches(extensive) on this site and others for info on how to go about installing, more to the point how to set it up(which AN fittings go where etc.). With no clear cut answers....

The cell will be placed in the bed of my truck between frame rails with an SS Aeromotive fuel pump connected to it, then runnning it to a Holley regulator, and finally to a mechanical fuel pump...(SBC 283). By the way Im not a racer this will strictly be a driver/grocery getter....

Any info or where to go for info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance fellow hambers,

el_bole

Attached Files:

2. badshifter

badshifter

You don't need or want any of that electric pump and regulator stuff for a daily driver. And you certainly don't want an electric pump feeding a mechanical pump. Run a -6 hose (3/8) from the bottom of the cell to the mechanical pump. Put a vent hose on either of the upper fittings, plug the others and you are done. But with a big truck like yours and so many options why would you put a fuel cell in the bed?

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, Badshifter is right, you don't need to run two pumps, just hook up your mechanical fuel pump line to one of the bottom ports and call it good. Normally those red outlet ports will be aiming to the rear because they are designed so fuel is forced to the back of the tank under hard acceleration and you do not get fuel starvation. But on a street driven car you can probably face them to the front with no adverse effects.

They provide extra outlets and vent ports to allow you some flexibility in mounting the tank, and you just plug up the unwanted ports. If you still want to run that electric pump and regulator, remove and block off your existing mechanical pump, and be sure to remove the pushrod if it is a sbc.

Don

4. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

I would skip the electric fuel pump since it's a driver. If you use it, make the pump inlet level or lower than the tank outlet so it's self priming.

Obviously the two outlet fittings point to rear for drag racing. Look inside if you orient it any other way. If gas level is down will fuel leave outlets uncovered under acceleration?

Better no elec pump. Just run one outlet to a filter and straight to mech pump.

You got 2 return fittings. Just block one off and use other for vent.

Measure resistance of sending unit and use gauge to match.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Check the two top fittings before just using one as a vent. One will likely have a rollover valve in it, and that's the one you want to use as a vent. Plug the other. You should be able to either look into the opening with a flashlight at the main fill. If you see light there's no valve; and if you don't then it has the rollover valve.
    The two lines in the sump can be used for feed or return. With a mechanical pump you wont need a return, so plug one of them.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I made a halo from angle iron, cut straps, and hung mine. Cut the straps from a stainless steel door plate, lol. Speed shops will have a AN adapter compression fitting to clamp onto steel fuel line, I gravity fed mine to the mechanical pump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They offer a 150degree AN fitting to run it forward pretty nice.

[​IMG]

7. el_bole

el_bole

Thanks for the great info and taking the time to give it, Love the HAMB! I know a couple of you ask why I want to put a cell in the bed...First thing- Why not? I know answering a question with a question lol.

How about the "return line"? does that connect to the other Nipple on the bottom of the cell? Sorry if someone answered that one already I can be ADD at times...

When I bought my 61 the factory tank was removed from the cab. When I look stubby bed(PO hacked the back end off LB) apart I discovered PO put the Factory fuel tank in this "Box" with the neck sticking out....(SEE PICS)

Oh and by the way the original hole in cab where neck of tank would go is frenched by PO for a power antenna(nice touch)....plus I feel safer with the fuel away from the cab...

I guess I wanted an electric fuel pump so I wouldnt be having to hassle with getting truck started, my first car was a 1967 Buick GS and it was my daily driver and it was a PITA to get er started every day...that was my thought process going into buying the E-pump and regulator....Oh well off to Craigslist I go to trade/sell this stuff LOL...

So any info on the return line would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again for all the great advice

Attached Files:

8. el_bole

el_bole

DUH.....Reading things twice is so enlightening LOL.....Got it fellas, about lines and plugs....Thanks so much again...Love the HAMB because I actually get advice and answers to my questions unlike a couple other sites that I am a member of.....

This was one major thing I wanted to do right the first time....

Gracias amigos.

el_bole