Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frt. drum brake problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Time, May 12, 2007.

1. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I've got a front drum brake that isn't fully releasing on my '63 Fairlane. It can manually loosened, but the next time the brakes are applied, they are dragging again. It's dragging enough that it is braking much quicker on that side than the other side, so that the car pulls hard to that side when the brakes are applied.

What's the problem? Sticking wheel cylinder? Weak return spring?

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it's not a sticking wheel cylinder, it might be a bad brake hose, sometimes they sell up inside and get restricted. also make sure the shoe is not hanging up on the backing plate, happens on old cars sometimes.

3. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Don't sticking wheel cylinder and swelled brake hose problems normally show up on the "squeeze" and not on the return? :confused:

4. squirrel

squirrel

no, they show up on return, because there is alot of pressure availble to apply the brakes, but very little to return them. The restriction won't stop the brakes from applying, but will prevent them from returning.

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Thanks! If they're not hanging up on the backing plate, looks like I just need to go ahead and replace both the wheel cylinder and brake hose...and probably the springs, too, while I'm at it.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Also make sure the pedal is adjust properly, if the pushrod is too long the master cylinder won't go back all the way to the "off" position, and it won't release all the pressure. there's a little hole in there that gets uncovered when the piston goes all the way back.