Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frozen in Time '57 Chev

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead A-V8, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

part # ND909567 front outer wheel bearing race [​IMG]

2. 1606599862038109743446368586106.jpg
    Its so irritating. Saved everything except what you need.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Mimilan

Mimilan

@Nailhead A-V8 please listen to this guy ^^^^^^
    You can convert it to modern Tapered Roller bearing doing this.
    Parts are easier to get......And cheaper.

And definitely more reliable ,but most of all! safer!

4. I have a TKO 600 that I ran in the car for a while but had difficulty with high rpm power shifts. I took it out and put it in my '64 C20 with a stock 292 and it worked great. My plan is to have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears face plated this winter and have it ready to go for spring. I've done a fair amount of research and it seems like face plating is the way to go. I'll let you know.

enigma57 likes this.
  5. I meant to say in the above post: Wow! You are way more knowledgeable than I about transmissions. I have had a handful of manual transmissions apart and back together again but mixing and matching parts is above my pay grade. If I have a good service manual I can usually get things apart and back together again but without some guidance I'm not so sure I'd get things done. I guess I may have spent too many years behind a desk!

enigma57 likes this.
  6. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

It's common to see this level of incompetency in many cars in this area of the world. Lots of 100 footers, Then you crawl underneath and start shaking your head in disbelief.
    Stems from a time when an inspection could be had for a fifth of 5 Star or a 24 of Canadians

7. Harry, thanks for the input. After reading your thoughts I will do some more looking into the whole face plating thing. The trans will be going into my '56 150 2 door sedan and will be mostly driven on the street but will certainly see some strip duty as well. I have a Jerico in my '50 pickup race truck and it is wonderful at the track but I'd never want to run it on the street so I don't want the TKO to turn out to be that unmanageable on the street.
    In stock configuration I can bang gears well at say 5,000 rpm but with open headers I normally shift the '56 at 6,800 rpm and that doesn't work very well. Perhaps I need to learn more about those carbon fibre synchros and other options.

Thanks again,
    Ron

enigma57 likes this.
  8. Here's a shot of the '56.

IMG-1450.jpg

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Perhaps The Mice Will Work On It During The Winter Months... FLANDRO DELIVERY 005.JPG

10. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Dang...they aren't usually kept around...even if you're pulling the whole drum and hub they fall out get dirty and then you don't want to bother with them...thanks again for looking! I have hit up everyone who has (or had) '57 parts around here with no luck

I am definitely not ignoring any advice...I need all the help I can get! but right now I'm focused on getting rolling (under its own power) a project that has been hampered by a baby, two moves, still no garage, and a pandemic...if a guy is having trouble finding parts for the popular '57 hubs for the more obscure '61-8 must be a real hunt!

My frame and front end are Canadian...in the future I plan to replace everything...either with tapered hubs/bearings or a disc conversion...I do understand this rule of thumb but I think for the purposes of a few test drives and short runs I'd much rather have a non matched race/bearing that are smooth and clean then a matched set with that divot...the former ain't perfect but the latter is unsafe...new ball bearings/races/seals are actually fairly pricey especially if I plan to replace them later...finding later hubs could be a needle in a haystack...thanks for following along and sharing some details of your project it sounds cool....

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Ha ha I don't think it would've made it 20 feet like that... my theory is it never made back on the road after the "brake job" was started:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  12. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Elves? Like that old story about the Cobbler? ha ha ha lol... I WISH!!!!

chryslerfan55 and enigma57 like this.
  13. Well, after doing a bunch of looking into my transmission situation I decided that the face plating was not for me. With face plating there are no synchros so it would be a pain on the street (great for racing, I'm told). So fate stepped into the picture along the way. I met a man looking for a 5 speed to put behind his mildly modified 235 and he bought my TKO 600 and I have ordered one of the new TKX transmissions. I will let you know how that goes, but I'm kind of excited. If it is a good as they say it is, it will be awesome!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The 4 dr. to 2 dr. conversion car I was gonna do until I found out I was going to be a Daddy...
    57greenw350.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Squablow like this.
  16. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

There must've been water leaking into the old ign switch that was hanging under the dash... I went to start it and water poured out...turned it and crunch then nothing lol
    gotta new/old one and a key/tumbler set
    57ignkey.jpg

17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Every time I sell some of my old crap I'm "allowed" to buy something for the '57...
    57prts2.jpg 57prts1.jpg
    Got some slide clips for the heater core box, headlights, inner door pull rods, windshield and backglass seals, speedo cable, E- brake cable and that all important little spring that goes under the shift lever!..also scored a set of seat belts front and rear! I also picked up a set of tires..man those 14" tires are getting hard to find!
    57prts3.jpg 57prts.jpg 57prts0.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

It was minus 7 gazillion centigrade today so I went & communed with the 'ol girl in her resting spot..... cleaned some of the moss off, had the battery charged and installed my new ignition switch and key and she fired right up and purred like a kitten!...that there's what you call a cold start
    5730.jpg

19. Did you get your wheel bearing issue resolved man?

20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Change all the light bulbs to the old fashioned style incandescent bulb. I use the 150 and 200 watt bulbs.. They are very bright and give off a lot of heat.. Two for the price of one!

21. neds29

neds29

Wish I still had a pic of my '57 convertible. Found it in a field in eastern Arkansas in '75, no wheels, no interior, top and windows up, solid body except a small patch in the trunk over the gas tank. Paid $35 for it. Rebuilt it over 2 1/2 years in my carport, and then got transferred to Germany. Left it in Dad's backyard in Andover, MA until he called after a year and told me "It's gotta go", so sold it. Still have the top pump cover. It's somewhere in Massachusetts. 283 2-barrel w/powerpack heads, 3-speed on the column (probably changed to power glide), turquoise color serial #57S254133.

22. I searched around, but the CPP kit was the best option. 20200517_152435.jpg

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I have one more guy to try he thinks he might have one....he also has the rad I need ...mechanically those couple things and tidy up a few odds and ends and I can test drive it ...soon as it warms up a bit I mean:D

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. If he doesn't have it, the kit from speedway is made by CPP. Everything you need, and it's a good price.

chryslerfan55 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks! I'll look into that...

26. samurai mike

samurai mike

27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Yep there they are @samurai mike ! it would be pretty funny to reunite them with the car hey?
    57.6.jpg
    from that to this... in only 40 short years...what a transition! o_O:D:D:D
    57prts1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  28. samurai mike

samurai mike

that could happen. i still have the 283, 4 speed and posi rearend i had in it!

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

man I would love that combo! I had a 283 but it was nickel and diming me to death putting it back together....
    Thanks for the pic! do you have a larger copy of it? lol
    57.7.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.