Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Frozen E brake cables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old school rodder, Apr 21, 2020.

1. old school rodder

old school rodder

My e brake cables are "stuck". I'm sure I'll find at least one is frozen. Does anyone have any tricks to un-freeze the cables or do I have to buy new ones? They are available, but not cheap. Cables are on a 46 Ford pickup.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may be able to free them up and lubricate them but probably not. Once they get rusty and seize up the only real cure is to replace them.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If you use the P brake you generaly avoid them getting stuck. Replace with ones that have grease zerk.

4. inthweedz

inthweedz

They can be freed up, back in the 60 -70's it was a common thing to have the cables seize up..
    We took them off the vehicle, mounted the ''ball end'' of the cable in a vise (had lots of benches/vises close together in the workshop) and held the other end, in another vise so the whole cable was horizontal..
    Oiled the exposed cable, and using a bar/claw hammer, got behind the outer sleeve and the vise and levered, after a bit of work sliding the outer sleve back and forth, applying more lube, the cable would free right up..

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I recently fixed a frozen e-brake cable by soaking it in a citric acid and water solution. Once it came free I rinsed it in plain water, dried it, painted it and sprayed it down with motorcycle chain lube. It works like new again.
    Weird thing is....it was from a '46 Ford truck!

6. old school rodder

old school rodder

Great suggestions, I knew someone would have a solution. Let me give this a try

7. jaracer

jaracer

I've had luck with taking the cable off, putting one end in a vise and securing a funnel to that end. Then fill the funnel with ATF and let it set a day or two.