Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical front wheel bearing maintenance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by garcoal, Oct 26, 2013.

1. garcoal

garcoal

getting ready to do my sons novas front wheel bearings. new hub, and replacing both sets of bearings, my question is the grease. I use a wheel bearing packer. and I fill the hub cavity about 1/2 full of grease. I work in a diesel shop and have watched trained mech use some of the weakes looking light blue grease. and just grease the bearings themselves. I use the thick blue syn grease and lots of it . am I wrong I will still probably do it the same way but is there a better way?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The owner of a chain of bearing stores told me to imagine wading thru deep water. I said, "Yeah??" He said thats what its like if you use too much grease. He claimed it can make the bearing run hot.
    I dunno, I still pack mine. I know that a tapered roller bearing should have pre-load when you tighten the nut.

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

I only pack the bearings themselves and maybe a thin coat inside the hub. My father is a machinist who builds a lot of assembly plant machines. He was working at a plant and the plant manager threw a fit and tossed his brand new bearing in the trash because he used too much grease. He claimed it would overheat the bearing and cause the machine to be shut down for more repair work.

4. I only put enough grease in the hub to coat the metal so it does not corrode and pack the bearings by hand. Been doing it that way for fifty years.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

same here but only 30 years

6. R Pope

R Pope

Heat the grease till its liquid and put the bearing in a can thats just big enough for it, then pour the warm grease on it to cover. Let it cool and install the bearing.
    Highway haulers use good seals and engine oil in the wheel bearings, no grease. It won't stay in car hubs though, and no way to check or fill them.

7. yep...agree never worried about "to much grease" on the front wheel bearings , i think if you load them up to heavy and waste the grease by sloping it on the spindle it squishes out when you lpre load the bearing and ends either in the center of the hub between the front and rear bearing or ends up on your wrench on the nut side..

8. Same here. HRP

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

When applying grease the bearing should be filled completely and the hub should only be partially filled. This leaves a place for the grease to go when when the moving part starts rotating.

When I put new wheel bearings in my motor home I referred to a cutaway diagram of the hub assembly that I found online showing exactly how much grease to put in the hub.

Lucas Red 'N' Tacky.

10. I just finished cleaning out the excess grease that got past the stuffed seal on my latest car. There was so much in the brakes that I effectively had only rears working. (I'm talking like a cupful of grease on the shoes). So, yeah, only enough grease required to the keep the bearing lubed.