Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front turn signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by insomniacshotrods, Sep 29, 2013.

1. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

The man says i have to have a license plate in front of my car. Ordered a turn signal kit 6v pos ground and im trying to decide what signals i like the best for fronts. Thinking about the lite-n-bolts to put in at the bottom of the license plate for signals but they are led. Seen the load resisters for them to work the flashers, and also the led flasher units but they are for 12v only. Im getting tired of spending all this time and money on something so damn simple. Mocked up some other lights i have for comparison , i should be out working on the car but im on the computer again ahhhhhhh!!!!! Most model a guys run the logic lights in the bumpers. Ordered some black ones like the chrome version mock up thinking thats what i wanted,now i dont know again. Thanks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Those look like stock model A headlights. Check and see if they have a second light socket inside (park lights). You can put the turn signals there and all the wiring is hidden. If not, you can get replacement reflectors with the park light sockets from an antique Ford supplier.

3. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Hmmmm never thought of that. Where would i get a amber 6v bulb? Thanks for idea, forgot about that running light.

4. crusty a

crusty a

I was also going to suggest the second socket. It looks cool too. Why not convert everything to 12 v ? I know its a bit of work but Everything works better.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No front signals means the guy coming at you won't know you're going to make a left turn across the road in front of him. Not a good idea to have 1/2 a boat of turn signals.
    From your options above I would use the amber lamps withe chrome rims, big enough to be seen and broadcast a light visible even after you install the bumpers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. You can always hide them in plain sight.

[​IMG]

The fog lights on the front of my truck also double as turn signals. HRP

7. crusty a

crusty a

LOVE the fog light idea. You can get tinted bulb covers they're kinda of a clear rubbery sock at most auto part stores

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. You can use a yellow marker on the bulbs or a light coat of spray paint. I painted mine an it shows okay.

9. They show up pretty good in the dark. HRP

[​IMG]

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes I think we as rodders or customizers try to be a bit too cool when it comes to lights in general. We forget safety and the concept that other drivers are looking for turn signals they can see rather than itty bitty lights on the bumper or license plate that may not be visible in some light. And hand signals don't get their attention too well as most bikers can attest to.
    Personally I'd go with lights under the fenders but maybe with clear lenses rather than the amber lenses or some small motorcycle lights below the headlights that had a shape quite similar to the headlights. Or lights inside the headlights.

11. This is the reason I decided to use foglights as turn signals,but I didn't quit there I also opted to use halogen bulbs behind the amber lens,,in the rear I used 37 Ford taillights but substituted non-traditional led lens in my tail lights,,they are bright ,,both brake and turn signal.

I did this shortly after Deuce Roadster got nailed by a idiot that said he didn't see his tail lights on his 40 coupe. HRP

12. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

13. In Texas, they only issue a rear plate for antiques, no front plate even if you want one.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

You guys must not have red light cameras yet …. Here they get a nice shot of your face and plate then bend you over

15. We got red lite cameras. $75 for rolling right.

16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Those lite-n=bolts are not a good idea for license plate bolts. When you need to change plates you have to un-wire them. I know. I bought a set for my plates and was going to use them until I realized that you had to disconnect them to get the plate off. Ended up using them for under dash floor lioght in my roadster. I guess you could put a disconnect on them, but I didn't want that extra wire hanging out.

17. Houston did away with them. Some small towns still have them.

18. They aren't very bright, either.

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Danny did you put a socket inside and run an amber lens?

20. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I just bought these for my car. They are MC lights and come with red and amber lenses.

[​IMG]

21. Yes Harry,I took the single element socket out and modified a double element socket and used bright bulbs,,the BLC fog lights have a amber lens. HRP

22. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Ah ok I thought thats what you did but wasn't sure. It's a cool look.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like your set up best of all the ones I've seen.:cool::D

24. A Boner

A Boner

Do front turn signal lights need to be amber colored?......back in the fifties, when turn signals became standard equipment on new cars, they were white lights. It was a few years later, that amber became the standard color for front turn signals.

Amber lights, even when not lit, stand out like dog balls, when you try to hide them on a hot rod front end. Clear lights blend in with the surrounding chrome better.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013