Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front tire size(height)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mooseknuckle, May 19, 2015.

1. mooseknuckle

mooseknuckle
    from Santee

With 15" rims for a much as possible street/strip car, i was wondering if someone could tell me the advantage and disadvantage of having shorter or taller front tires?(for both the street and the strip)

i hope that made sense
    thanks

2. Better rollout. A taller tire won't be as effected by bad spots on the track or in the road.

Down side is sidewall flex. You have to run 'em hard to overcome that and that sometimes is not so desirable on the street.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Main reason for a tall skinny tire on a drag car is that you can inch forward a bit in the light beam at the starting line. At least that was the selling point when the tire manufactures started selling tall front runners.

4. caton462

caton462

Yep! Less chance of red light with taller tire.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. squirrel

squirrel

The smaller the tire, the less it weighs...the faster you go!

clem likes this.
  6. chevy57dude

chevy57dude

[​IMG].
    For me, a taller tire looked right. The rollout factor makes sense from a tech standpoint. But then, Squirrel has a point about weight. No denying his car is fast! So how about a tall, light tire and Line Lock?

7. mooseknuckle

mooseknuckle
    from Santee

thanks guys, all are good points. at what point are they too tall? and whats too short?

8. squirrel

squirrel

We might need to look at the car to figure that out.

Also look at what sizes "front runner" tires are available in.

9. Well I suppose when you get into mud truck high or sport truck short you are reaching the limits of sanity. LOL

If you look at most modern front runner they range from about 26-29" On a race car I like a front runner that is equivalent to or a little more then my rear, so if I am running a 30" rear I like a tire in the 28-30" range. I don't run pie cutters on a heavy car either.

The deal is that you really want your front axle equal to or higher then your rear axle for stability at speed. That can be fudged a little bit and normally is but that is what the suspension geometry guys all say.