Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Jun 21, 2009.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

I have a 1931 Model A Coupe frame and was looking at a front suspension posted here on the HAMB that is forsale. The front suspension forsale is from a 1936 truck. I am wanting to put a roadster body on the frame and I have a 1951 331 hemi which is heavy. Was curious if the 1936 would work for me considering width and weight of the hemi.

Thoughts??

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you don't move the front crossmsmber forward the wheelbase will be shortened as the mid/late 30's front axle is mounted behind the spring. this was a popular conversion back in the day and if you can live with the somewhat awkward look in profile, go for it.

Frank

3. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

How would you move the front cross member forward? you got to the frame horns starting at the cross member...

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It would not fly using the '36 spring perches. The axle would be moved back several inches. Not attractive or desireable from an engineering perspective.

You can use the bones. That's what I have. The axle is a bit wide, but it has been done. You will want to cut the spring perches off the front of the bones and use a spring-over set up like a stock Model A. If you want to use the narrower A axle, you will need to split the bones or be very good at bending them to the correct spacing. They are also longer, so if unsplit, the pivot will need to move back.
    It's not a bad set of parts. Just educate yourself on the differences and application combinations possible.

Your best bet is to ID a car you really like, then find out what they used. There will be few new ideas on how to use these parts.

5. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

I found a local 46-48 Ford open drive Banjo rear end.. Think that will fit my 1931 Frame?