Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bryanyeskie, May 22, 2017.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

i need help with a front spring. I have a 4 inch drop axel spring perch boss is 36.5". Question is what spring width do I need? Was told 31" but want the guys who have been doing this for 50 pluse years experience to make sure it's right. You now we all hate to buy parts 2 or 3 times.

Thanks to any help.

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Measure perch to perch and subtract 5" and this will get you where you want to be.

So, 31" is correct for a spring over setup.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Ok thank you like I said I just wanted to be sure. And who's more sure then a hamber?

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thats the right size,31,now placemint,ark an number of leafs plays into ride an ride hight=these are adjustible. Spring above axle , infront of axle or behind play into how strong. Out front of axle can be softer then on top,and behind needs too be stiffer then other two ways. The axle set up you pick,often has to do with what you like or have vs picking a good best ride for most builder. Still its a good thing to know about this stuff. Same is ture for rear,but back word,being softist is behind and stiffist in front. Hope that helps some one.

5. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Well I want to do a spring over. was looking at the posies super slide 1002 front spring on speedway website.. Any thoughts.

A bit about what I am doing axel 4" drop 4" front 7" rear ,650-16 and 1000-16, flat head as seen ⬅️⬅️⬅️

Simular to the blue truck below image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. If you're thinking of buying a Posies spring, call Posies. They'll walk you through it on the phone and answer your questions.