Register now to get rid of these ads!

front spring (transverse leaf) questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Dec 27, 2008.

1. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

My main question is how should the spring look (flat, slightly arched, more arch) when properly loaded in the car.

I have searched and read quite a bit about how to modify the rate and height by removing leafs and/or reversing the eyes to achieve the desired ride and ride height.

I am in the early stages of fabrication and I need to take a shot at making the mounts so the thing is somewhat close, then I can mess with the spring.

I am planning on hanging the shackle mounts off the wishbones but have not yet determined how to build the spring perch on the frame. That will be determined by the thickness and arch of the spring when loaded. I know I can control the thickness by adding shims but I just dont know how much arch to plan on when properly installed.

I think I have the eye to eye correct and have collected some springs. One pack of 7 leafs with a reversed eye and 2 more main leafs with different archs (both standard eye)

Didnt find what I was looking for by searching so now its up to you guys.
    Ready, go.

As allways, thanks.:D

Attached Files:

2. What is the spring from? It is fairly flat already. Bet it dont move much under weight?

3. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Not sure what its from. It moves less than an inch when I stand on it (200lbs)
    The engine is a BBC, so it should move. The spring that is.

4. After the last car I would make an adjustable perch anyway. I would mock it up with engine weight on it and then allow adjustment both directions to fine tune. With a little work, the mount can be made tastefull. It is not going to move a ton from what you have said.

Jealous of the Fiat!

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like you have an assembled 28-31 A spring with reversed eye main leaf, a regular eye main leaf for 28-31 and the bottom on is a 32-34 regular eye main leaf(note larger eyes).

With a big block you'll probably need all the leaves in that spring. Just remember to build your spring perches exactly the same width apart as stock 28-34 perches, center of eye to center of eye. The spring will need to be spread to install and the shackles will be horizontal to the ground when installed, then drop to a near 45* angle when the car weight is put on it.

6. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

Hi,just put the spring back 2"-3" on the wishbones and mount the spring in the original cross member.If it's fenderless the wheel base will be extended that 2"-3" and ride better. Milo

7. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Thanks Milo but I built the frame and dont have an original cross member. The axle is up against the grill shell and cant go further forward.

Good info anyway, someone else will read that and go "yeah, thats what I'll do." :D

8. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Pasadenahotrod, just the kind of things I needed to know, thanks.

Another question-
    As I anticipate the load on the spring-
    The height of that spring pack is 5.5" center of eye to the top surface of the top leaf. Can I assume about 3" of compression when loaded? If not, how much can I anticipate so I can keep welding.
    I am totally willing to re-visit the spring when its a roller, just dont want to have to cut the frame apart to make changes.

Another question-
    With the smaller eye (28-31), will that be strong enough? Does it get bushed with something?

Thanks