Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front spring for a Channeled 34

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Working on the Vicky and need to figure out a front spring.

Currently running a reverse eye Posies 5 leaf, the previous owner put a 5" spacer to get the front end up, the car is running a Super Bell tube with a 4" drop.

I was thinking a standard eye Posies, the spring measures 36" center of perch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Scott

2. just thinking .... Poises 5 leaf? seams to me someone took a couple out. and a 5" spacer with a dropped axle? maybe you should put an undropped axle in

you better post some pictures so we can see what going on

3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I believe your right on my spring, some leafs were taken out, I would like to use my same axle, running a Pete & Jakes 4 bar currently that was previously installed

4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

This is how is was. looking for suggestions ??

Attached Files:

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Looks like shims were used to raise front end. Could also be to keep outer part of spring from hitting bottom side of frame. What angle are your spring shackles when everything is sitting on ground? Think I would get new spring with non reversed eyes and start from there. Is it a true four inch drop (2 inch over stock) or a six inch total drop?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. there is something about how it was setup is missing. i can't understand why that had to be done...can you post more pictures?

copper brake lines are probably not a good idea

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

[QUOTE="Rice n Beans Garage, post: "need to figure out a front spring"

What does this mean? Car sit too high? Too low?

Can you post a side shot of the car and let us know where you want to go with the ride height?

A dropped axle under the car with a lift block and leaf shims is a contradiction. It's like wearing drywall stilts and also having to duck to keep from hitting your head on the ceiling. To raise the car, someone blocked up the leaf spring rather than correctly replacing the axle with an axle with a lesser drop.

That lift block along with 4 leaf shims makes me real nervous. re all of those pinned together or just sandwiched? It should all go, along with the mismatched U bolts, multiple nuts, washers, etc.

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

The car currently sits like this, 1st photo with the spacers in place, the 2nd photo is with the spacers removed. Jack can't remember the spring he used with the dropped axle but the spring was non reversed. I want to replace the spring and hope to get the ride height of the 1st photo.

Shackles are at 45 degree when at ride height.

Brake lines are NiCopp not copper. http://agscompany.com

Thank for looking guys !!

Attached Files:

9. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Update: replaced the front spring with a stock eye Poises. It raised it 2", for mock up purposes I made a 3" spacer, after a quick shake down run, I think I will be replacing the axle with a standard I beam or ??

Thanks for the suggestions.

10. Modelabc

Modelabc

My 33 Tudor was also "slammed" by the guy using a 4 inch drop axle and a reversed eye "China" spring with 7 leaves. Then he had a local High Zoot rod shop replace the front cross member with another that lowers the car another 1 inch! Like you, I figgered the quickest way to get it off the ground was to buy a "stock" 33 spring that has 10 leaves and no silly reversed eyes. 'All Ford Parts' had one on hand and that got the front end high enough to at least get into a gas station. I am considering replacing the axle with hopefully a 3 inch drop. A quick look showed that 4 and 6 inch drop are all that are commonly listed. I'm gonna do some research....3 inchers at one time were available.

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Exactly I was thinking I beam, on mine I'm fighting with the full width frame channel.

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I was thinking you may want to run a stock axle. The only issue I see is what does it have for front brakes. Discs tend to be offset further out, why they usually use a narrower dropped axle. Would a stock axle affect your wheel clearance ?

13. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage