Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Shock mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Apr 7, 2009.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Putting togeather my model a sedan over a home made frame and have reached a thinking point about front shocks. I am useing a spring behind type set up with a speedawy tube axle. This is the kind with the pre welded batwings. In this config the axle is positioned about half way across in the middle of the frame horns. This is about where the front shocks would normally be mounted. There appears to be room in the back of the axle. My question is has anyone ever mounted shocks in back of a drop axle instead of the front or is this just somthing you dont do? Pictures and examples would be appreciated. Also what about friction shocks. Are they mounted parallel to the axel or parallel to the frame. I am not up to speed on those and perhaps they are an option.
    Thanks
    DB

2. Shouldn't be a problem mounting the shocks behind the axle at all....except having the spring in the way of making a shock mounting tab on the axle. Without seeing pics of your setup its hard to say.

If you want to use modern shocks and if you're using hairpins, an option is to make a gusset going from the top bar to the bottom bar and make a shock mounting point on the gusset. Just put the gusset in line with the spot for mounting the shock bracket on the frame. Shocks work better closer to your wheels and closer to the spring, but we see alot of guys mounting shocks back on the wishbones all the time in suicide set ups...it's probably not super critical to changing the drive-a-bility.

You also see alot of guys mounting the friction shocks parallel to the frame on the front, just because that's the easiest way to mount them for clearance...but i've seen a couple of cars with the friction shocks mounted parallel to the axle, just have to get creative with a mounting point on the frame that allows the shocks to move freely through the plane of travel....bobbed frames would give you a pretty clean mounting point to run them parallel to the axle.

Good luck and post some pics!

3. bustingear

bustingear

thanks dubzillz anyone else?

4. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i used a spring over set up and drilled the axle and sleeved it. In in the process of building the upper shock mounts, but it are really hard up Speedway had sone pre fabbed ones.

Friction shocks mounted parallel to the axle may look a little dumb IMHO, but what the heck do I know.

5. bibb86

bibb86

i think you fine mounting that way but clearance would be the only issue i can think of. also i like the friction shock mounted parallel to the axle i think it looks good and the friction shock gives it a little older feel and i also hate the way a modern shock lokks on the front end. just my 2 cents