Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Shock mount ? ? ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Apr 6, 2008.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I am building a 29 Sedan with a 4" droped Superbell etc... At the Lone Star Round Up this weekend i saw several rods with the front shock mounted to the split bones... This option instead of the standard lower shock mount that goes under the spring pearch bolt.

?? Is there any reason why this would be good, bad, or otherwise "not OK"???

It looks like a good way to do things on my car. I just want to hear the pro's VS con's....

Jay

2. butch27

butch27

The bones aren't THAT strong! And try to shock the axle NOT the suspension. So get closer to the axle.

3. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I am kicking myself for not snapping a photo of this, but it seemed the mounts were welded close to the axle. 3" back ish... Is there any reason someone would do this? What your saying makes good sence to me. it looks like a real simple solution... But I'm wonder how safe and good it is

4. Remember that the farther away from the axle you get and the closer to the pivot point of the suspension you get the less effective the shock will be at it's job. If the shock is right behind the axle mounted to the radius rod I would not see any problem there. if it is a foot back from the axle then it would have considerably less dampening effect. There is also a substantial amount of force that the shock will impart on it's mounts so you would need to make sure that the radius arm is heavy enough in the area to accept the extra force that it was never designed to accommodate. All that said, if it is properly thought out and designed there is no reason it would not work. Good luck.

5. Works fine, been done hundreds of times some better than others.