Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front seat for heavily chopped 50 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dolsen37, Apr 19, 2012.

1. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

O.K. I've done a search and sent P.M's to several "Merc Guys" but I need some ideas for a front seat for a heavily chopped 50 Merc. Car is chopped 6 inches and I need a "low profile" (seat bottom cushion as low to the floor as possible) split back bench seat that the seat backs fold forward to allow rear seat access. I've looked at the U-pick it places with no success. I'm thinking 60s GM????. Any ideas might help. Original seat sits too high and heavy mods to framework would be required to make it work.

Thanks
    dolsen37

2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If you can go buckets, Camaro worked good in my 5 inch chopped 28 Ford Sedan.

3. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

some pictures might help in your search

4. Yep, probably buckets. Mines wacked 7" and I had to go buckets.
    Mind you if your only 5'4" you might be good to go..............

5. stuart13

stuart13

the stock bench in my 54 newyorker is fairly low and folds inward, maybe one of those would fit?

6. hudson48

hudson48

I ended up changing to mid 60's buckets from Chev or Pontiac(can't remember) in the Hudson after being unhappy with the original Hudson bench seat.Far more comfortable.

Attached Files:

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Since you chopped the car so much you must have the ability to modify. Build your own low framework for the seat and get with a good upholster to custom fab your seat cushion. Conduit works great since it doesn't leave sharp edges. You most likely won't find a stock seat that is that low and if you do you will have to modify it so why not build a custom seat to fit your car.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Take a look at some 1980s GM bench seats. I believe any competent upholsterer can modify the seat portion to bring it down a bit, and you should be able to take an inch or two out of the metal track feet to drop it all down closer to the floor.

9. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

I picked up a 64 impala split bench for mine.I,m 6'3" and it gives me plenty of clearance. My chop isn't as extreme as yours I went 4 1/2 front and 5 1/2 rear but the sdat could be easily modified to get another inch.

10. I'm working on that same issue with a Guy. No Buckets for us. I have a 57 Ford 2 door seat complete. it's 56" wide where the stock Merc is 59". With the glide unit under the seat it sit's 9" tall in front where the Merc is 12 1/2" tall. The Ford seat also slopes down as it gets to the seat backs, the Merc is fairly flat. I also believe with a little work I can install the Stock Merc seat backs for a nice O.E. look. Not if, but when I make this work we should gain about 5" of head room. With a little more work on the Glide unit we could gain another 3" if necessary.
    The Wizzard

11. metalix_421

metalix_421

Another option I you go buckets would be Chevy cavalier seats with the headrests cut off they look descent With upholstery done and are easy to find

12. banditomerc

banditomerc

When I built my last Merc,I simply re-engineered my seat to fit...if you can chop a Merc you can split the ATOM....well,maybe not.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

early 80's Buick, Olds or Pontiac full size rear wheel drive two door.

Some of the later 80's front wheel drive tudor seats might work too as you can still pull the head rests off and throw them away and have a level seat back.

Another that should work great but would be hard as hell to find is late 60's early 70's Olds Toronado bench seat. I had one in my 48 and it looked and fit great.

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I'm chopped 6-1/2" and 4-1/2 and I used an 80 Chev Malibu bench in mine, made up my own brackets.
    It sits pretty low.

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have used 1st gen Mustang. They are low low.

17. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I have a set of Saturn Buckets with out the head rests in my Hudson. They are just right.

18. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks for all of the advice I appreciate the feedback. Some very good options to check out.

Dan

19. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the reply and this is what I think I'm looking for. I called on a 65 Impala seat the other day that might be the ticket.

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I got short bucket seats outta a 96 crown vic in my 55 chevy. they are really short!!!

21. desotot

desotot

I am using 64 riviera seats, unless you havbe a really long body you probably will only have to drop the seat 3" for a 6" chop after all mercs are 3 " to tall to begin with or we wouldn't all be wanting chopped mercs,,, right?

22. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Im in the process of building an original looking Split back frame for Skirv's ride right now. He wants the original looking end tins as well as the low profile seat bottom.

[​IMG]

I just finished up this frame a few weeks ago for a 5" sectioned shoebox.
    Skirv's will look very much like this one only with taller backs. Let me know if I can help in any way?

[​IMG]

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

2 come to mind the 88-99 fullsize bench chevy truck, the frame is easily cut down and the 64-69 mustang they have a low back

Godspeed
    MrC

24. Sorry I too so long to take some measurements. Based on my research this is from a 1970 Impala or Biscayne:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. FEDER

FEDER

x2 on the early Mustang

26. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks Pro Stock John,

For all of you that follow this thread in the future I bought and used Pro Stock Johns seat in the pictures above. I did have to cut the "runners" down but it looks and feels great. Hard to get into but the seat works and I can see straight out the windshield.

Dan

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would be measuring seats in club cab type pickup trucks. They are about the only thing that has a folding bench seat anymore.

My first choice would be the original Mercury seat, sectioned, but it must be long gone.

28. I must have missed the bit where he said that HE chopped it :eek:

29. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Home built by the OWNER.Home chopped by the OWNER. Home painted by the OWNER. Home upholstered by the OWNER. He home builds good enough to have had a car in the Rodders Journal, and you?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  30. R Pope

R Pope

My brother went old school, we found a '58 T-bird and grabbed the seats and console. That was the hot setup back in the day, getting a tad scarce now....