Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front panhard rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas Drifter, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That is one opinion , granted. I was just wanting to see if there some more in-depth info out there that I could gain knowledge from then just an overall blanket analysis. I like to learn that's all. There is a lot of knowledge and hands on experience here. I would think builders like Pete&Jake's, Gimpy and 31Vicky may have experimented.

clem likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Knowledge is power :)

3. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I ran a unisteer on my model A . The one in my avitar for several years without a panard bar with no issues. Eventually put a vega box in cause I hated the looks of the unisteer.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

I have been building all my cars with a 'Dead-Perch' for 43 years, flat works and I drive my cars all the time and put thousands of miles on them. Another circle track design from years and years ago that works.

aussie oldie likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mono spring or?

6. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An adjustable mount that allowed you to raise or lower one end of the panhard bar would allow you to raise or lower the ride height then adjust the bar to keep it horizontal. But then it would no longer be parallel to the drag link, unless you could also move the steering box up and down.
    Dead perches work too. Ideally, the drag link should be parallel to the spring main leaf between its mounting and the dead perch, in a cross steer setup. Anything you can do to minimize bump steer is worthwhile.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Well now sports fans, here is the latest in the panhard issue. I installed one. Funny thing happened on the way to the forum. IT RUNS STRAIGHT! I now think I should've installed one when re-building the thing. Was fun welding upside down. Haven't done that in some time but got good welds. One of these days I will invest in a vehicle lift! Now here is something concerning the Unisteer. I've seen and read many thoughts on the installation for our types of vehicles. Just for those who are installing one. Here is a measurement tip. With the front end sitting firmly centered, measure from the frame to the center of the tie-rod. They should be the same if the set-up is correct. Mine was 12 inches but that will vary according to the build. So thanks for all the input. It has been interesting. Someday I may reinstall a vega box, but for now, it will be what it is.

Montana1 likes this.