Register now to get rid of these ads!

front or rear A/C units in a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyfordman, Jun 25, 2010.

1. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Can you guys give me some input on whether to put an A/C unit in the package tray area or under the dash of a 48 chevy coupe. Thanks

2. aaggie

aaggie

Call Vintage Air and ask them. They will be able to explain the why's and how's of every possible way to get AC in your Chevy.

3. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Are you talking where to put the unit or where to have the vents blowing from? Either way, we always put the units underneath the dash with the vents blowing from there. With hot rods/street rods we usually build a sub dash that sits below the main dash and about an inch or two behind it, blends in so that its not really that visible, and we put all the controls there. Vintage air is great stuff, thats all we use, I recomend them. If you put the vents away from you, it'll seem like it takes forever for the car to cool down, and you'll have to run you hoses pretty far to get them to the unit.

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Let me apologize if I'm hijacking this thread. I own a '32 Ford sedan. Have you ever plumbed one of these for secondary ac airflow into the backseat area. Since the car is relatively small it may not be worth it. Your thoughts?

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Thanks, Anderhart, and when I get this all done, I'll try and post the installation. Thanks, everyone.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Thanks Old Guard as I didn't even know that there was a social group, I learn more about this site through people suggesting how to use this web site.

7. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

So I blew up My survivor 41 on Thursday!!!!! Its getting a Heidts in the front and C.E. spring kit in the rear with a 70 nova 10 bolt. 350 turbo 350.

How did the A/C turn out?
    Please add some build photos of all of it.

8. The air conditioner really doesn't care where it's mounted,,space limitations dictate where it's mounted but they can be mounted in the package shelf area.

In my Deuce pickup there was absolutely no room under the dash for a heater much less a air conditioner.

There is no package shelf in a small pickup so the only place left was under the seat and since I had a small heat & air unit I elected to use that space.

The heat will run you out of the cab and the air is adequate,,being as the truck still lacks a interior. HRP

9. kscarguy

kscarguy

Basic rule is: A/C to the face, Heat to the feet. Vents located behind you will not cool you in very hot weather.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

mine is under dash. making vents look good is the hard part.