Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front mounted fuel tanks and the NHRA.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Apr 22, 2009.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hey, I searched...

Nada.
    Anyone out there using a Moon/Eelco style tank out front of their car ( for fuel...yep, thats what they used to be for :rolleyes:...) and running at modern NHRA sanctioned tracks?
    How is yours protected, and what hassles do you get, if any?
    What constitutes "Enclosed in a steel tube frame" as quoted from the general rules, section 1.5
    Is a single nerf-like bar o.k., wrapping around it, and attached to the front of the frame, or do I need to build a goddamn ugly ass platform on the front of my truck?
    Any input from anyone already running a similar setup on a door car would be appreciated...thanks!
    Mark.

2. One thing I can tell you for sure, is the original style "spring in plastic tubing" around the "Moon Tank" is a no go! the tank has to be secured with a soild wrap around bolt type attachment. hope this helps

3. rooman

rooman

A single nerf bar type tubing loop should do the trick as that is what most of the pro stock cars run. The tube deal is required anytime the tank is outside the confines of the frame itself so if you have original frame horns and a spreader bar sticking out further than the tank it is technically legal. In practical terms you should probably add the tube loop.

Roo

4. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

This is what I have on my altered and it is right from NHRA's book 2 years ago.

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I always thought those were used to store the cold beer for cool downs.....

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Very cool...
    Thanks guys for the input, I was actually figuring on maybe doing a single bar, just out from the front frame rails, and on an incline of maybe 30 degrees upward, around the front/bottom of the tank, but wasn't sure if one hoop was enough...My figuring was that as soon as the bar makes contact with the frame on the other side, it constitutes the new perimeter of the "frame", thus enclosing the tank within it, but wasn't sure that was what they had in mind...;)
    Thanks!
    Mark.