Register now to get rid of these ads!

front mount flathead distributor modifications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Nov 23, 2010.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I was thinking about gutting a crab cap distributor and using ford or mopar electronic ignition pickups. Anyone else done anything like this?

What about one of those mallory dual point distributors? Are they any good on a flathead?

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

3. Wheres Bubba ?
    He will normally have some kind of input
    He is probably Doing A distributor right now.
    Jim Did you get J H distrbutor done ?

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yep thats what i am doing . I think i am caught up with Jackies stuff for a while. Doing some stuff for a old Johmmy Parsons car for Weeks/Baker right now.....
    Going to the blanket run ?

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Heres one that looks pretty good
    http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/wgmumaw/Distconv/Distributor Conversion.htm

We do a electronic crab using a pertronix module and i see the need for a better unit using HEI etc, just havent got around to getting it done.

With that said , why change a good system ? The ford factory dual point is a very good unit as is from the factory. Advance curve from the factory is right on and the dual point arrangement runs the rpm band required for these engines.
    The crab unit usually just needs a cleaning and service with some good quality contacts and off you go ??? :eek::D

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

bubba,
    Thanks for your help! One thing I dont like about the flathead rotor and I think you agree is that the shaft is small and the rotor can fit loosly at times causing problems. Thanks again!

7. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a handy "solution" to installing plug boots as you describe. I use the stuff electricians use to pull wire; it looks like a gelatin in the bottle and when first applied, then it breaks down to a watery, non oily liquid in a couple of minutes and dries completely in another 5 to 10 min. It makes installing those boots or any tight wiring/rubber bushing situation effortless. I loaned my bottle out; I'll get the name and post it later today.